Craglist find. Is it Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt be able to use it with my old house electric system so its not a toy for me but 250 is a fair price, if you can cut, drill and weld the keg then you could DIY for less than that but if you have to pay someone to do that then it would be over 250 for sure

Yeah, I was just pricing out some stuff. I found a weldless kit for $20. The same type of heating elements for $70. I also found keg on Craigslist for $40. With the same set up, it would cost me about $220 in parts plus shipping if the parts.....I can cut and drill the holes myself. I have the tools for that. Im now thinking against the purchase

Hmm... looks familiar... I think this is it.

what the builder says...

Pics. Yea... don't ask me why i put the elements so close to each other let alone vertical. Lets just call this 9000w Ekeggle beta. Plans are to sell this once i source more kegs. The next rig will have a bottom drain and two elements horizontally configured with tri clovers for easy removal and cleaning. Its a PITA moving and cleaning the keg with 7' x2 of power cord attached.

Not a bargain in my book. If you know enough about electrics to know whether or not he has done it right, you might as well build one yourself.

You might not need a power controller with this, but you do need 2x GFCI protected 240V outlets. Most people don't have that so the seller is in for a long wait.

Thanks for the info all. That is the keggle I am looking at. I'm still thinking about it

Just the cost of having to install two GFCI 240v outlets would make this too much.

lets see:

keg - anywhere from 30 to 100 on craigslist - more from a legal distributor - lets call it 70
Angle grinder and cutoff wheels: cheap for under 30
decent hole saw or step bit - another 10-20( if you already have a drill)
2x heating elements - 35(camco 5500w are 21 each)
cords and plugs - $40
Welded couplings - cheapest I have seen is 25 per weld - there two I would have done here so - $50
valve kit: 25

I personally don't like the double element thing, but those are easy to get a seal for if you don't want one.

so, if the welds are good, the build isn't crap - that price isn't aweful. the pot seems like a weird configuration but you would spend a bunch more getting a megpot or blichman the same size.

Let's face it. There is not much of a market for high power electrical devices made at home by amateurs. Plus it's a weird design. The guy who built it basically admits as much in his build thread.

From the seller's POV, he is offering the thing more or less at cost to get materials to make something more suitable. He is not going to take a huge hit because he can reuse the bits if necessary. That's the most likely outcome because it won't sell unless he lucks out.

To the OP: personally I think this is a lemon, but if you decide this is what you want as opposed to what you can afford then wait 1 month and offer maybe 75% of the asking price and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back