40 minute boil of Weyermann Pilsner malt worked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetanothersteve

Reaction score
I switched from brewing using 2 row and Vienna as my base malt for various amber colored beers to a Pilsner using nothing but Weyermann Pilsner malt.
The well modified, not the extra pale, is what I bought.
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=15&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

Because I no chill, I only need a 40 minute boil for the bittering hops addition. For well modified 2 row, Vienna or Munich as base malt I have never thought twice about DMS or sulfur when only performing a 40 minute boil. It was not until after the wort was in the fermenter that I remembered that most brewers do 60 to 90 minute boils of Pilsner malts.

I am happy to report that although there was a lot of sulfur smell coming out of the fermenter during the second week of fermentation, no detectable DMS indicators such as cooked corn taste in the bottled beer.

Having written this, I will go for the 60 minute boil on Pilsner malts in the future just to be safe in case I am using something that is not the Weyermann.

My recipe for a 5.25 gallon batch of Pilsner is 10 lbs. of Pilsner malt.
I mash in 3.5 gallons of 151F water, add another gallon of 168 - 175F water at 60 minutes and wait 10 minutes, drain, add another 3.5 gallons of 175-185F water and drain and then bring to a boil. It takes about an hour for my wort to come to a boil on the gas stovetop - which may allow for more volatiles to escape than if I used a propane burner that required much less time to come to a boil.
Bittering hops added at start of boil for 40 minutes, flavor hops at 5 minutes and I was feeling "Ur" and added one final addition at flame out.

Yeast: Saflager 34/70 yeast cake from a Vienna.

Brewed: 3/17/12
Yeast pitched: 3/18/12
Bottled: 4/25/12
Tasted: 5/27/12 (bottle storage is around 62 to 66F, so I wait a month to 5 weeks before sampling)

dang it.

i'd typed out a whole response, and accidentally clicked the 'back' button on the browser.

the gist: shorter boil = good. 34/70 = good.

34/70 is my go to lager yeast. This past winter I did 3 pilsners, a Vienna lager, Mexican Amber and a toasted Vienna from 2 sachets of Saflager 34/70.

Brew 2 weeks after fermenter 1 has started, dump yeast from bottom of fermenter 1 and pitch into fermenter 2. After bottling fermenter 1, get a 3rd ferment from that yeast by pitching onto the cake.

Next up, a 40 minute boil on an English style IPA to end the 2011/2012 brew season.

yetanothersteve said:
Next up, a 40 minute boil on an English style IPA to end the 2011/2012 brew season.

are you using the Weyerman Pilsner for your IPA? I have 3/4 sack and would like to use it but haven't tried it outside of Belgians & pilsners.

Pilsner should work fine for pale ales and IPA's. If you are familiar with Troegs Brewery (Harrisburg/Hershey, PA), they use Pils as the base malt for many of their beers, including IPA's.

JakeFegely said:
Pilsner should work fine for pale ales and IPA's. If you are familiar with Troegs Brewery (Harrisburg/Hershey, PA), they use Pils as the base malt for many of their beers, including IPA's.

Thanks, JakeFegley! I love Troegs & had forgotten about that!

Back