Adding Coffee to the secondary, what is best method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
In a secondary, I plan on adding some coffee to a robust porter. Should I just pitch the whole beans, crush them, cold brew it or hot brew it chill and add?

Any opinions/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Cold extraction. Grind them coarsely and add them directly. If you want you could throw them in a clean sanitized muslin or nylon bag with some also clean sanitized marbles (for weight) but it is not necessary. The grounds may float is all but they will settle eventually. If you keep them in a bag you can remove it once it tastes right to you.

Cold extraction with a french press works best. Grind 2 oz. of beans and add 8 oz. of previously boiled then chilled water. Let steep 24 hours. Add 2 oz. of coffee extract to secondary or keg. Add more to taste. Brazilian Coffee Beans work great.

Edwort, Does it need to steep in the fridge?

After reading his post above I immediately got up and tried it. I boiled the water then chilled it. I didn't put it back in the fridge, I just let it steep on the counter.

24 hours went by and this stuff is strong. I was experimenting with a porter that I was drinking at the time this was ready. I would add just a couple drops of the coffee in another glass along with the porter. You wouldn't think the coffee would come through much, but trust me it does.

Back