Dry Hop and Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin461

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a bit of background info, I brewed an extract Gumball Head clone on 4/10 and it had an OG of 1.063 and on Tuesday 4/20 I nailed my target 1.012 FG. I read here that it was fine to dry hop in the primary instead of the secondary since the beer clears much better if left alone on the yeasties.

I guess my question is, since I dry hopped on Tuesday (w/pellets), and the recommended dry hop period is 3 days max to bring out aroma and flavor instead of harsh grassy notes, will i still achieve clear beer although its only been roughly 2 weeks today?

Today will be my third day since dry hopping and I would like to keg it. Will the beer clear up? or if it doesn't, will the cloudy beer taste any different?

Whoever told you 3 days max on a dryhop is flat out wrong. The "grassy" flavor monster is way more fiction than fact, and depends on several different factors.

The MINIMUM I would dry hop is 5 to 7 days, 7 being preferrable. I dryhop in kegs at 42F and have had never experienced off flavors, even after a month.

As for clearing, it will just take time. Affect taste no.

my typical schedule is dry hop 7-10 days, start cold crash to 32, add gelatin 1-2 days into cold crash, leave for another 2 days, so a total of about 4 days cold crash usually and my beer is clear and I drop hop almost every beer.

I agree with wildwest. Dry hop at least 7 days if you can. The hops should mostly sink to the bottom. Once you keg, cold crash it and then gas it. The longer you let it sit the clearer it will become. When I let the beer sit in the keg after carbonation for a week or two, my first pour might be a slight bit cloudy, but after the first one it is crystal clear. The cloudiness won't really matter to taste. Just appearance. Oh, and use whirflock! Stuff is awesome for making clear beer!

how long is too long? Not to hijack your thread but I dry hopped and left it in there for at least 12days if not longer. is that to long?

Whoever told you 3 days max on a dryhop is flat out wrong. The "grassy" flavor monster is way more fiction than fact, and depends on several different factors.

The MINIMUM I would dry hop is 5 to 7 days, 7 being preferrable.

I will go ahead and rack it to my keg tomorrow since it will be the 7th day of my dry hop addition.

FYI, this is the thread I got the info from regarding the maximum of 3 days for dry hopping.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hop-ipa-64751/index2.html (Post #18)

Thanks for the help :mug: looking forward to trying this brew very soon.

Back