Art Projects with old labels.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I delabel commercial beer bottles with oxyclean and they slide off nicely, I have been saving them for some reason. I've just been letting them pile up.

I keep thinking about decoupaging them to something, but I'm not sure what.

I also have a bunch of neat bar coasters as well.

Has anyone done anything with their old labels? I mean some of them are quite cool, or unique, and they represent sort of my beer journey as well.

Has anyone done anything cool with them? And post some pics if you got them.

:mug:

Great idea.

Reminds me of album art. It would be interesting to save them in a photo binder and
look back through it once you've amassed a good number. My girlfriend saves nice
looking printed material she comes across and then cuts them up and makes collages
sometimes.

Or varnishes them onto the outsides of wooden boxes, etc

It looks very nice.

I have also been saving the ones that come off nice, and also don't now what the plan is. Perhaps bar top under the lacquer. Who knows where they'll end up

I have started sticking my favorites on the front of my kegerator. While they are still wet from the oxyclean soak, I just slap them up on the fridge (it's actually more of a careful, orderly process). There's enough residual glue on the labels that they stick really well and stay nice and flat. So, I'm slowly amassing an easily accessible visual library of my favorite beers! I'll have to start putting some of my OWN labels on there too, I suppose!:D

A HBT member (mrbowenz) made a bar top by pouring clear epoxy over a decade's worth of collected bottlecaps.

Here are some images:

EpoxyingtheBar12-29-2008008.jpg

EpoxyingtheBar12-29-2008001.jpg

EpoxyingtheBar12-29-2008015.jpg

Pretty freakin' cool.

I know of at least one brewpub round here (The Ship Inn) that sealed odd UK-beer coasters onto their tables with clear epoxy.

Why not give epoxy a try?

Bob

A HBT member (mrbowenz) made a bar top by pouring clear epoxy over a decade's worth of collected bottlecaps.

Pretty freakin' cool.

I know of at least one brewpub round here (The Ship Inn) that sealed odd UK-beer coasters onto their tables with clear epoxy.

Bob

Those are awesome, and I've started saving caps...but I really don't have, living in my loft, a bar or anything cool like that...So I'm stuck with making a wall hanging, unless I do a side table or something...oooh or maybe a lampshade???

Psst!

Here's the product you want to use if you decided to do the flowcoat route.

Environmental Technology Inc.

Residential version of what your local bar/pub/restaurant has on their tables.

Personally, I want to do something like the old Wendy's tables for wall art.

Those are awesome, and I've started saving caps...but I really don't have, living in my loft, a bar or anything cool like that...So I'm stuck with making a wall hanging, unless I do a side table or something...oooh or maybe a lampshade???

Coasters? Serving tray? TV tray?

Pretty freakin' cool.

Bob

I've always wanted to do something like that, I saved years worth of caps and then ended up in the trash during one of my moves..

What kinda of epxoy is it?

I have them platered on all the cabinets around the kitchen, but I live in a POS student house. Just slap them on there after removing and they stick like a champ - no gluing needed

as i mentioned in another thread, my SWMBO is spending the spring semester in Seville, Spain and im going to be taking on a few DIY projects to save my sanity and keep myself busy. One of them is going to be a kegerator build, and the other is going to be making a table. I plan on layering the top with a bunch of different coasters and some other things ive gotten from work. Once that is done I am going to set them with a clear pour-on epoxy...i cant wait!

as i mentioned in another thread, my SWMBO is spending the spring semester in Seville, Spain and im going to be taking on a few DIY projects to save my sanity and keep myself busy. One of them is going to be a kegerator build, and the other is going to be making a table. I plan on layering the top with a bunch of different coasters and some other things ive gotten from work. Once that is done I am going to set them with a clear pour-on epoxy...i cant wait!

Pictures Pictures pictures when you do it!!!!!!

:mug:

you can always get a dartboard and decorate it like i did for SWMBO b-day last year. she is a dart shark and i figured this would be a good gift. we made it together with all of our labels and a standard black dartboard i bought at academy. looks really nice and gets tons of compliments.
DSC04368-1.jpg

DSC04366.jpg

I like the dart board!
I also like the coaster idea. I bought a pack or square cork coaster for cheap at Ikea that I planned on printing out some images of my logo and sticking on. Then just probably brush some clear laqeur on to seal. I maye very well steal that dart board Idea!

I was at a bar that they did just that. All of their tables, trays and bar were old coasters, labels or caps then they pored some kind of epoxy over them and it look really cool. You will need to glue them all down with a clear glue first so they don't move and just check that pouring the hot liquid on them won't change the color.

We have two 24x36 frames full of old labels hanging up in the kitchen. No pics right now, I'm at work.

I like the bottles caps covered with epoxy idea, very cool.

I wanted to make an epoxy table with caps over winter break but money and time were short. I've also been saving the labels off of bottles, some dry pretty wrinkly how do you guys dry them? Not sure what to do with them, probably use them somewhere in the construction of a bar someday.

I keep thinking about decoupaging...

Okay nobody else gave you any flack about this so I feel it is my duty!
:D

decoupage!!!
How about a nice scrapbook with lots of ribbon and lace?!

Man card revoked!

I don't care if it is beer labels.

:p

Theres free software that'll do this. Search like mosaic software or something like that.

Question on this. Let's say I have about 2000+ beer bottle caps. I need a 'semi quick' way to get the software to know what I have. Here's what I'm thinking.

1. Color scan a whole bunch of them at once.

2. Separate the caps on the scanned image into their respective tiny images.

3. Load those images into that free software and do the image creation thing.

4. Print out the created image as a guide to placing the caps for the real thing.

... that sound good? (I'm sure you can do the same thing for labels.)

ALSO- two questions on the software (I haven't tried it yet)
1- Will it rotate pictures to fit better?
2- Will it overlap pictures to fit better as well?

Whenever I delabel commercial beer bottles with oxyclean and they slide off nicely, I have been saving them for some reason. I've just been letting them pile up.

I keep thinking about decoupaging them to something, but I'm not sure what.

I've been thinking about doing that with a small galvanized "beer bucket"

Question on this. Let's say I have about 2000+ beer bottle caps. I need a 'semi quick' way to get the software to know what I have. Here's what I'm thinking.

1. Color scan a whole bunch of them at once.

2. Separate the caps on the scanned image into their respective tiny images.

3. Load those images into that free software and do the image creation thing.

4. Print out the created image as a guide to placing the caps for the real thing.

... that sound good? (I'm sure you can do the same thing for labels.)

ALSO- two questions on the software (I haven't tried it yet)
1- Will it rotate pictures to fit better?
2- Will it overlap pictures to fit better as well?

The one I used (which was a long time ago) did rotate pictures or overlap them. I planned on just sorting my caps based on color and then just take a photo of each cap in that color. One draw back i remember in the software I used was that it would use the same photo more than once if it needed to.

So Revvy did you ever do anything with this idea?

I have a bunch that I was thinking of doing something crafty with ie cover the bar stools, make a mirror or picture frame or something.

In searching for ways to remove labels I saw a picture of a guy who plastered the body of his guitar with them and that looked really cool. I may end up doing that with a bunch of Pliny labels or something.

I understand. The idea of using them as a bar tap is cool but I already have a nice bar top. I'd hate to waste them on a picture frame. I'm thinking the guitar body/headstock is the way to go.

I've been to a bar that had then stuck (modpoge?) on a table and the covered with a glass sheet. they were put on in a sort of chaotic random way, but every part of the surface was covered even the sides. it looked pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back