Mold in Carboy :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascbrew

Reaction score
so last weekend i was forced to rack a Pale Ale and Pumpkin beer to secondaries becuase they had mold growing in the necks. I looked at them today and the mold is now growing on top of the beer. They are small fuzzy circles. Is the beer safe to bottle? They both were done with Safale s-04 and both had og of 1.065. The pumpkin beer tastes delicious, but i wont be able to bottle till this weekend. Will this mold mess up my pipeline?

You should be fine.

Here is a picture of my first and only infection. It happened in my Amarillo SMASH.
infection1.jpg

I racked from under the mold. It turned out to be a great tasting brew.

Just make sure you sanitize everything well after the fact. You don't want that mold coming back!

So all you guys who have infections and rack from under the mold... Is the infection only on the surface area of the beer?

I think it's an issue of the duration of contact with the beer, the infection can only convert so much over whatever amount of time it contacts the beer.

Initially, my thought was that it was a division based on the type of bacteria (i.e. yeast and bacteria like Brettanomyces distribute throughout their habitat, while this bacteria builds colonies). However, I did a little quick research in the Brew Wiki on Brettanomyces and discovered that it actually lives in wood.

so will I be safe if i bottle this weekend. Yesterday they were the size of peas (cant check it, i dont live where I brew)

Back