Will a 20 0z Co2 work in place of a 5 lb bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm building a kegerator out of an old freezer chest. Right now I am assembling all the components I will need. I just received a Co2 tank, regulator and tap set up. The regulator only has one gauge and I called a local disributor to see about adding a second gauge so I can monitor the gas in the tank. He told me that I would be better off buying a back up tank. I then got to thinking that maybe i can use one of those 20 oz Co2 bottles used for paintball. So my question is, Does anyone know if the thread on a 20 oz bottle of Co2 is the same as on a 5 lb tank? I figure I could put the 20 oz bottle on temporarily until I get the tank refilled.

I saw pictures of EdWort using that while not at home. Not sure if the tank releases any oil though. Maybe Ed could offer better feedback.

the threads are very different. plus, you need a pin to push down the valve on the paintball tank. the valves work in two completely different ways.

the co2 itself and the tank would be fine to use. you would just need adapters to make it work, and also, you would need to make sure the paintball tank stayed upright so the liquid co2 doesn't ruin your regulator

The threads are NOT very different. you just have to worry about the pin.

Use this adapter and it works great (for me).
I have a 5# tank that I use to fill my 20oz. and 24 oz. bottles. You need a siphon tank or do what I do and mount your 5# tank upside down. Best to use something like this for filling the bottles.

If you look behind the cooler, you can see my co2 bottle with the regulator on it. I have it strapped to a metal fixture so it is upright and doesn't fall over.

WARNING: messing with high pressure gas is dangerous. Do so at your OWN risk. If you don't want to mess with refilling bottles yourself, you are good to go with the adapter above. If you plan to refill, do your research so you don't get killed or injured.

I dont plan on refilling the 20 oz bottle myself. I would take it and have it refilled. I just wanted to use it as a back up in case my 5 lb tank ran out and then use the 20 oz bottle until I had the tank refilled.

I dont plan on refilling the 20 oz bottle myself. I would take it and have it refilled. I just wanted to use it as a back up in case my 5 lb tank ran out and then use the 20 oz bottle until I had the tank refilled.
Stick with an adapter like this and you're all set for using your regulator with both your 5# tank and the 20oz bottle with adapter. This adapter is nice because it has an on/off knob so you don't lose c02 every time you change the regulator.

Back