How would I convert this to a Mini-Mash ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have to assume I would need some 2-Row for the mash so I can't convert the entire 9lb into LME!!

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.6 %

1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %

1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

You can convert all the 2-row into LME if you want. YOu need 6.75lbs LME instead of the 9lbs of grain.

What kind of mini-MLT are you using? What's the max grain bill? When I was doing PM batches, I converted a 2 gallon Rubbermaid into an MLT and maxed out my MLT with about 4 lbs of grain.

Won't I need something in the Mini Mash to convert the enzymes for the Oats??

Yep.

What? (mini-MLT ???)

I thought I'd use Amber Liquid Malt Extract from AHS (Extra Pale better??). I thought having some 2-row in the mini mash to help out the Oats.

The MAX AG grain bill was 11.75lbs

Arneba28 suggested 6.75lbs LME leaving the 2.75lb for the mini mash.

Thinking out loud I COULD even out the LME to 6lb (take away 0.75lb) and add 1lb of 2-row to the Mini Mash (did I do my math right there??)

What? (mini-MLT ???)

I thought I'd use Amber Liquid Malt Extract from AHS (Extra Pale better??). I thought having some 2-row in the mini mash to help out the Oats.

The MAX AG grain bill was 11.75lbs

Arneba28 suggested 6.75lbs LME leaving the 2.75lb for the mini mash.

Thinking out loud I COULD even out the LME to 6lb (take away 0.75lb) and add 1lb of 2-row to the Mini Mash (did I do my math right there??)

Yeah, that would work. I think it's good to have at least as much 2-row as you have specialty grains, though- so I'd recommend 2 pounds 2-row for your mash.

A mini-MLT is a small MLT out of a 2 gallon cooler. You could do a PM with a grain bag, a small MLT, etc, and none of them are wrong. I used to use my bottling bucket, lined with a big grain bag and wrapped with a sleeping bag to keep the heat in. A mini-mlt is nice because it keeps heat in way better than the way I did it!

One lb 2-Row Pale malt has more than enough enzymes to convert the oats, in reality that is what you need. The crystal malt is already converted and the chocolate malt, the starches are roasted to the degree where you don't have anything to convert. That is why those two can be steeped. But yes you need to do a mini-mash for the oats, and truth be told you can use your kettle for that. Just heat a gallon or a little more to 160 or so and add the grains. I would use a grain bag for this, and let it sit for an hour, rinse the grains with another gallon of (165 - 168) water. Add your DME or LME and top up with the amount of water you are going to boil with, and you are good to go.

YUP - that was my plan - I just did not know if it would be beneficial tohave more or less 2-row.

I suppose the deciding factor is the amount of LME I can get - then calculate the LME to figure out the 2-row.

OF COURSE (I had not mentioned this - it's a 4g batch and not a 5g so I'm 80%ing everything).

I have a secondary carboy not being used. MIGHT AS WELL GET IT GOING!!

If you substitute LME for the pale malt, you should do it on a 1:1 by weight basis.
If you were using DME, you would replace 1 lb pale malt with 12 - 13 oz DME.
Whereas 1 lb American 2 row or 6 row could convert 1 lb oats, you may need as much as 3 - 4 lbs of some English malts.

Edit: My extract to grain conversions are screwed up. They are based on 100% efficiency for the mash/sparge. The extract weights should be multiplied by about 0.75. Sorry

-a.

Back