DRY vanilla extract conversion for root beer/cream soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
I only have access to dry vanilla extract and wanted to know if anybody knew a way to convert this to a liquid measurement, or vice versa. Are they the same? I was not sure if the dry extract was more concentrated (like DME vs LME) so if someone has any knowledge of this, I'd really appreciate some. For example, how much dry would you estimate when the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon liquid? I'm going to be making a root beer or cream soda, so let me know if you've got any tips.

The only thing I can find in my pantry says:

Vanilla Powder

Containing no sugar or alcohol, it is designed for those who seek a rich vanilla flavoring in dry form and without the alcohol found in vanilla extract.

In vanilla powder, the flavoring compounds of the vanilla bean are extracted and mixed with a dry base. Vanilla powder is especially useful in a dough or batter that is to be refrigerated as well as in dry mixes for cakes, cookies beverages etc. as its flavor doesn't evaporates as readily as vanilla extract which makes it useful in baking.

To substitute for liquid vanilla extract, use an equal amount of vanilla powder.

Back