DFH 120 minute clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to make a clone of this magnificent brew? Or even come close to something like it? Would you have to finish the fermentation off with wine yeast to get the ridiculous ABV? I'm just curious, since I was blown away by the beer.

Absolutely sure I couldn't afford the hops necessary for this within the next year, but you've gotta have goals!

There was an article in a BYO a year or so ago about a guy who made a 20% beer. Basically he boiled down like 15 gallons to 5 or something crazy like that

RockfordWhite said:
There was an article in a BYO a year or so ago about a guy who made a 20% beer. Basically he boiled down like 15 gallons to 5 or something crazy like that
Yeah, and his fermentation process was also ridiculously complicated, it was COMPLETELY different than anything you'd do for fermenting a normal-gravity beer. The wort was very thick and almost syrupy, and he wound up fermenting it by canning 4 gallons of wort in quart-sized jars, and adding them one at a time to the fermenter every few days after the previous addition fermented out most of the way. He also used a bunch of beano to help get the FG down.

Because of the incredibly complex process for actually making a beer like that, I doubt you'd really be "cloning" 120 minute IPA per se, but rather making a similar-strength beer that might be in the ballpark.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth it for the beer itself, merely for the 'cool factor' and bragging rights of managing to make a super-high-gravity beer - more of a science experiment than anything.

Funkenjaeger said:
He also used a bunch of beano to help get the FG down.
Ewww...

Funkenjaeger said:
Personally, I don't think it would be worth it for the beer itself, merely for the 'cool factor' and bragging rights of managing to make a super-high-gravity beer - more of a science experiment than anything.

Yeah, it seems like sort of a crazy, wild-eyed, I-don't-know-why-the-hell-I-tried-this kind of brew, just curious to see if anyone else attempted the insanity. Part of me figured this might be the kind of thing that is restricted to commercial brewing. Although I AM intrigued by the canning of syrupy wort and feeding the beer over time, kind of how people feed meads, eh?

Ok I have searched and searched! I remember someone on here posted a link to a 120 min clone recipe some time back, anyone know where it is? I think it was a JZ clone but not sure.
Cheers

How about just a DFH 90 min recipe? I tried the 60 min recipe that is in the recipe section and keep it on tap.

Matt

I can't wait to try to brew this monster. The cool thing is, a guy I work with volunteered to buy the ingredients for a 10 gallon batch if I would brew it. As soon as i get the fermenter space, this one will finally use up some of the bottles I have been keeping around.

Why did he add the malt in intervals every few days? I know this is an old thread but I want to know the science behind this madness! Would it have come out differently if he had just added all of the malt and dextrose at the same time? If so why? and YES, I am a noob...

Back