Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search here after breaking the tops off one or two bottles each batch lately using my wing capper. The HBT opinion was either the wing capper itself or a heat related problem from using the extra hot sanitizing setting on the dishwasher. I keg and bottle about 50/50, so figured I’d just live with it.

SWMBO just came back from the flea market with this. Looks old, but tried it out and it works fine. Problem solved!

Capper 01.jpg

SWEET!

I've got an old school capper that looks kinda like that. It says 1920 on mine...just curious does your's have a date?

I forget which brand it was but there was a domestic brand bottle that I was reusing that also tended to break a lot at the neck. Looking at the bottles, I could see stress fractures developing after the first reuse. I just tossed all the ones from that brand and haven't had the problem since.

Were they just one brand bottle or several different?

There's no date, just had SUPREME-0 (or could be -C) cast in the side. It would be interesting to know how old it is. Anyone recognize it?

Here's a pic of mine:

capper.jpg

I kind of like the design of your's bc you just crank up and down, mine you have to get the capper/lever in the right place for each different size bottle. It's not a big issue or anything...just takes getting used to.

Back