Two Hearted Clone Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoon184

Reaction score
This is my second beer that I have brewed and I figured I would give this recipe of Two Hearted Recipe that I found a try.

Here is the original
http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=20

I decided to give it a few modifications of basically just moving the hop schedule up a little.

Ingredients:
9 lbs Sorghum Syrup (prior to boil)
1 oz Centennial Hops (60 min)
1 oz Centennial Hops (30 min)
1 oz Centennial Hops (20 min)
1 oz Centennial Hops (10 min)
0.5 lb Table Sugar (5 min)
8 oz Maltodextrine (5 min)
1 pkg Nottingham
Dry Hopping:
1 oz Centennial Hops (secondary fermenter)
OG: 1.070

Boil Minutes: 60

Just put it into the primary on Monday July 1.

I've done a similar brew a few times with all centennial. It was a fantastic beer and with the ample availability of Centennial you can't go wrong.

Don't be scared to double your dry hop. The latest version from byo.com has a dry hop amount of four ounces. Here's a link http://i.imgur.com/bfITU9X.jpg

Let us know how it comes out! I'm looking for a good GF recipe to try out in the next few weeks!

I'm really hoping you tell us that this turned out well. If so, this will be my next batch. Here's hoping!

Its been just over 2 weeks and still hasn't cleared up like my previous beer has(I left that in the secondary for 4 weeks) I'm anxious to try it as well but probably 4 weeks out from a solid taste test

I brewed 3 batches with the Nottingham and had problems with very slow fermentation with all of them. I did one batch with Windsor and accidentally fermented close to 80F and it turned out fine. I have had much better luck with Safale us-05.

Many people seem to have difficulty getting sorghum beers to clear. I never have, but it's possible that the storage conditions and age of the extract could be a factor. I've seen sorghum beers fermented by friends of mine that were totally opaque even after several months.

I would assume the beer would still be good if it was cloudy? I was gonna give it another month to see if that helped at all... It took awhile for a previous beer to clear up but it started it seemed like it changed over night(not literally)

Also I wonder if adding the hops in the secondary has anything to do with the clarity bc there is still some hops residue on the top. A friend suggested shaking it to mix it in better

Thoughts on that?

I wouldn't recommend shaking--you risk oxidizing the beer. Rack it again and cold-crash it if you can, that'll help settle out any remaining hop matter and might help it clear.

I thought oxidizing the beer might happened. Good thing I never listen to him. Dumb question but what do you mean by cold crashing it?

Appreciate you giving these updates! I'm still waiting to see what your verdict on the beer is.

I did give the carboy a gentle swirl(not shake) 2 days ago and after that a lot of the hops started to fall. I did that again this morning and more started to fall. Hopefully it will be cleared up next weekend and I can bottle it up!

Success!!! Not sure if it taste just like a two hearted but taste pretty good! I think I would add Irish moss to help with the clarity. Not fully carb yet need another week or so. Overall good and I would remake it!

image-3907880774.jpg

Great to hear, man! That's definitely going to be my next GF recipe. I submitted the recipe I recently brewed, which also came out very well, which is elsewhere on this subforum.

Congrats! :mug:

Latest posts

Back