Less "horse blanket" and more pepper/spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison with WLP568 a while ago. Added some spices at the end of the boil including corriander and pepper.

Was looking for a fruity/spicy thing but turned out very farmhouse/horse blanket. Its fine, I like that flavor, but what can I do next time to get less horse blanket?

Fermented at a temp controlled 80 degrees for 7 days then moved to room temp for 2 more weeks. It was a 3 gallon batch

5.00 Pilsner malt
1.25 Torrified Wheat
0.50 Flaked corn
0.50 Flaked oats

Thoughts?

Its hard to describe but you know it when you taste it! I know its fairly common in some Belgians...

Mmmm, sorry, I don't know.

I managed a stables in New Mexico a few weeks each summer when I was younger. I can remember vividly the smell of hay, the corrals, the leather from the saddles, the stacks of alfalfa bales, etc.

I think it's coming to me now. I can remember the smell of the saddle blanket coming off after a long ride. Musty, sweaty, a bit funky. Is that the taste you're talking about?

Typically horse blanket aroma is associated with Brett. I'm surprised you get it from a regular saison strain. Try fermenting lower. You are on the high end of the recommended range (70-80).

Hmm... 568 is a blend, but I don't think it's got Brett in it, so I'm not sure where that horse blanket would have come from...

Have you thought about using 565, a more "pure" saison strain?

Try a different yeast. I only use Wyeast but the difference between 3711 and 3724 is pretty big. 3711 will give you a more citrusy/peppery flavor.

Back