my new water system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I've got all my parts in and fit. The left valve will control my CFC I'm building. The right valve is for filtered water. I put a gate check valve in so that the filter housings don't become a bug apartment between brews. I have most of my brewery on a 2 x 3 harbor freight shop cart, so once this is built ill mount it on the cart below the push handle.

ForumRunner_20130221_174050.png

day_trippr said:
Globe valves are a nice Old School touch...

Cheers! ;)

Thanks. I prefer them over a ball valve when I'm trying to regulate flow. It'll be really important for the chiller to run efficiently, and I want to run my filtered water at a low flow as well to ensure the best possible filtering of chlorine and chloramine out of it. From what I've heard you need to run them really slow.

I just read an article that recommended I not use gate valves to regulate flow. Oops. Is that gona be a problem? Should I get different valves?

But, you're not using gate valves, you're using globe valves. At least that's what they look like (admittedly, not a defining picture).

In any case, I'm a bit surprised about the gate valve thing. I didn't think they were all that bad at providing a reasonable degree of control...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
But, you're not using gate valves, you're using globe valves. At least that's what they look like (admittedly, not a defining picture).

In any case, I'm a bit surprised about the gate valve thing. I didn't think they were all that bad at providing a reasonable degree of control...

Cheers!

They're gate valves disguised as globe valves.

Do you actually know what kind of valve you installed? What is a gate valve disquised as a globe valve? Anyway, even though a globe valve is used to control flow, over time they won't turn off. Cavitation occurs and the rubber washer or the seat will be damaged. A plumber advise using a globe in order to make money changing washers and seats. A ball valve will last longer when used as a balancing valve or when controling flow. Back in the day, before ball valves and globes, gates were used on circuit setters. Ball valves are now used on circ. setters. The problem with using a gate is that the gate is a tapered wedge or shaped like a sideways "D" and it is loosely attached to the stem. When the gate is in the partially open position it can vibrate when lowering a high pressure fluid to a lower pressure. They are less prone to being damaged by cavitation, since there are no rubber seals in the flow path. By the way, there's no such thing as a gate check valve. A shut off valve would have been a better choice over a swing check valve. A check valve can "clatter" during low flow rates, damaging the mechanism.

VladOfTrub said:
Do you actually know what kind of valve you installed? What is a gate valve disquised as a globe valve? Anyway, even though a globe valve is used to control flow, over time they won't turn off. Cavitation occurs and the rubber washer or the seat will be damaged. A plumber advise using a globe in order to make money changing washers and seats. A ball valve will last longer when used as a balancing valve or when controling flow. Back in the day, before ball valves and globes, gates were used on circuit setters. Ball valves are now used on circ. setters. The problem with using a gate is that the gate is a tapered wedge or shaped like a sideways "D" and it is loosely attached to the stem. When the gate is in the partially open position it can vibrate when lowering a high pressure fluid to a lower pressure. They are less prone to being damaged by cavitation, since there are no rubber seals in the flow path. By the way, there's no such thing as a gate check valve. A shut off valve would have been a better choice over a swing check valve. A check valve can "clatter" during low flow rates, damaging the mechanism.

Thanks for setting my lingo straight. I know it's a gate valve by looking through it, how it works, and it's what it was listed as when I bought it. Lucky for me it's not yet sweated up yet. Perhaps I will exchange them fora ball valve then. I am a bit curious how the swing check valve can be damaged by opening during flow? Can you clear that up a bit please? I'm only a plumber when I want to make beer or the wife tells me the washer hoses are leaking :)

Back