A batch all to yourself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I usually insist that my SWMBO taste the beers I make, usually she takes a sip and says "tastes like beer" and thats the end of it. She doesn't drink beer, so for the most part I get the beer all to myself.

All to myself? Hell no. If it's that good, I wanna show 'er off. I will, however, be more discriminating in how I hand it out. I won't serve it up to people who won't appreciate it unless they ask. I won't break it out at parties where people are just slagging the stuff back like BMC. But I can't hoard it to myself. The ones that I don't hand out are the weird/failed batches.

Mutilated1 said:
Well, I usually insist that my SWMBO taste the beers I make, usually she takes a sip and says "tastes like beer" and thats the end of it. She doesn't drink beer, so for the most part I get the beer all to myself.

That's a shame. My wifey, she loves my beer (still getting used to the Pine Tree Porter, but hey, so am I)

I like sharing but when I give a practically brown hefeweizen with extract "twang" coming out the wazoo and I get "This is really good," then I give them my Kolsch (pretty damn good IMO) and they say "This is really good," I like to keep it for myself.

Now, if you know good beer, like good beer, and are willing to give me constructive feedback on how it fits the style, I have more than you can drink.

I dont think that I have made a single batch that I have drank all by myself. I bottle 12 x 12 oz bottles from every 5 gal batch for give aways, some 3 gal batches dont go out. A person is much more likely to keep getting beer if they can give me honest feedback. Especially if they dont like a particular batch.

Most of my beer (~80%) gets disposed of at home, but not all by me.

I think a large part of the fun of the hobby is letting other try the beer that you make.

HB99...i'll be your friend

...but only if you give me beer :D

i drink most of my beer myself. my roomate and i will sometimes go through a case on a weekend and i bring samples to parties, but i haven't had a party at my place in a while and noone really comes over, so they don't get any :p

i have made beer FOR parties that turn out pretty well...i'm always happy cuz the keg always gets emptied :)

Beerrific said:
I like sharing but when I give a practically brown hefeweizen with extract "twang" coming out the wazoo and I get "This is really good," then I give them my Kolsch (pretty damn good IMO) and they say "This is really good," I like to keep it for myself.

LOL. That was really good! :D

Love the extract twang coming out the wazoo part! :mug:

I make beers that I know my friends will enjoy, that I like some what. Then I make beers that I like that no one else does. 5 gallons last alot longer when your the only one drinking from it.

Ryanh1801 said:
I make beers that I know my friends will enjoy, that I like some what. Then I make beers that I like that no one else does. 5 gallons last alot longer when your the only one drinking from it.

ROFL...I have been making the same hoppy pale ale since I started. Nobody likes it but me, too f'n bad for them. Atleast I know I will have beer on tap!

Mutilated1 said:

This sounds just like me. I try to force beers on the SWMBO and she dutifully takes a sip and says, "Big surprise, it tastes like beer." All the while she gives me this face like she had just taken a sip of turpentine. All the more beer for me I guess.

I do have a few friends that I can give some to though. :D

My friends were skeptical and so-so about my beer until I started brewing wheats. Well, they all loved the CCA as well, but the Hefe's brought out the mooch. Can't tell you how many times my friends traded me tallboys of Old Style or grenades of Mickey's for free weazes of the hefe keg.

I'm hoping that the homebrew wheat beer I'll soon be drinking (the 11.2% beast) will be good. It's been aging for over a month now. My barleywine is at 4 months. I've yet to sample either.

I brew for the crowds so I don't expect to have exclusives on my stuff.

On the upside, I now have friends and family who enjoy Pale Ales, Wits, Brown Ales and even Stouts, who would not have had exposure to them otherwise.

I was even serving these this past weekend to my wifes work friends.
BlackTan4.JPG

My AltBier was all mine though...I kept that one a secret.

Beerrific said:
Now, if you know good beer, like good beer, and are willing to give me constructive feedback on how it fits the style, I have more than you can drink.

Amen! Now that I've gotten nearly a half dozen buddies into brewing, they can actually speak intelligently about beer and I don't mind giving them the good ones so I can get some quality feedback.

My third batch was a nice german wheat that was so good, I had to share it with my buds from the gym. It was the first one I felt confident enough to spring on anyone other than moi! Got rave reviews...I think homebrews are meant to be shared! :mug:

Junebug said:
...I think homebrews are meant to be shared! :mug:

I second that!:mug:

I try to convert everyone i know to drink good beer.

Cheers

I'm going to try to use my homebrew to get my friends into drinking better beer. I doubt it will work full time -- they think Labatt's and Corona is all there is -- but I can hope.

I'm expecting to give away some of all of my brews, if only because I like bragging. "Look what I can do!" :)

Then who knows, I might start subcontracting and/or teaching others how to brew.

I have a couple friends, a brother and two brother-in-laws who enjoy my beer, so I usually end up giving away between 12 and 24 bottles to others.
I try to get the rest of my family interested in my hobby but the rest of them don't really drink beer so the only thing they have done more than sip is my Wit. Since I don't care for Wit and they don't really seem to appreciate it I probably won't brew any more unless I see more interest.
Craig

Never a problem. My neighbors drink BMC and I only take what I want to club meetings.

All my friends and family love getting beer from me. I feel bad too in a way, having lots of beer and not sharing, so I share. I make it for occassions too. Down to about 7 or 8 cases, so I really need to start brewing again soon!

Friends liked the scottish ale and I didn't so they got a lot of it. I liked the ESB and they didn't so I got that one to myself. They like the choc stout too much so I hide it. (It ain't done yet!) Double IPA's I get to keep as no one is as much of a hop head as I am. I got the rest of the Hefe hidden and the cream ale I just found a 12'er of that I forgot about. Forgot about the VCCA too.

Wife gives it a sniff and then says "It's good, tastes like beer." She drinks to drink. I drink to enjoy the brew.

Latest posts

Back