Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Of course you can't actually critique a beer without tasting it here's the recipe anyway let me know what you guys thing. This is in the primary right now so if you have any suggestions as to another means to get the secondary flavor in there or if you think the recipe won't work whatever. It's a recipe for an Irish Stout with some toffee flavor thrown into the secondary.

Laz's Irish English Toffee Stout

Ingredients

7 lbs. Amber Liquid Extract
0.5 lbs. Black Malt
0.5 lbs. 120-L Crystal Malt
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
2 oz. Fuggles for 60 min.
1 oz . Willamette for 10 min.
1 tsp. gypsum (if needed for pH)
5 gal. water
1.5 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs Irish Ale WLP004
1 lb. Heath Bar Toffee ground up as fine as you can get it this is to be added to the secondary fermenter after one week in primary.

Brew Process

Brewed on 10/23/2005

Mash grain in 1 gal. water at 150-155 degrees for 1 hour
Sparge with 170 degree water
Add wort to brew pot and heat to 212 degrees
When wort temp. is at 212 degrees add malt extract, molasses, and Fuggles
At fifteen minutes to go in boil (1 hour boiling time) add the Irish Moss and Willamette.
Cool the wort and pitch the yeast. I pitched at 66 degrees low so I’m probably looking at a slow start chilled my wort a bit much.

Fermentation

Original Gravity
Hydrometer reading was 1.060 Original Gravity is 1.061 corrected for temperature. The final gravity for this should be around 1.021.

The only curve ball I see is the toffee. Other than that it looks like a decent stout recipe. The toffee bar should be interesting. Being mostly carmelized sugar, it should work. Let us know the results.

ditto to that, recipe sounds like your typical stout, i wonder if the sugars in the toffee will get fermented.

How much molasses?

The toffee sounds like an interesting addition. It won't ferment much, so it should have a strong note.

i was wondering if that toffee would ferment. out of curiosity, is there a reason those sugars wouldnt ferment fully, or will the sugars in the toffee ferment but leave all the rest of whatever is in toffee.

My guess on the toffee not fermenting very much is because it is mosty sucrose, not maltose, and the fact that it has been carmelized so much, the sugar compounds have been changed drasticly into a tasty but unfermentable bar of goodness.

I want the toffee in there for flavor not fermenting so that is good and there should not be molasses in there I forgot to take that part out this is an edited version of my gingerbread stout. but that recipe had 12 oz in there.

Back