Good eating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2 lbs calf liver
1 lb chicken hearts
1 lb Ox liver
2 medium eggs
2x 1/2 cups flour
3 large cloves of garlic.

Boil the liver and hearts in a pan large enough to fit the offal and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
After cooking save the liquor, add the offal to a blender and mince fine.
Add to a large bowl, combine and mix with other ingredients. save 1x 1/2 cup of flour.
Place in a oven dish and bake until firm and browned.

Take 1/2 cup of flour and add half a pint of water and mix until smooth then add to the boiling liquor boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.

Use the "gravy" to add to main meal of kibbled cereal and proteins.

Cut the liver loaf in to 1/4 inch chunks and use for that special treat.

The dogs love it.;)

I'd probably lose the whole hand if I wave a chunk to this near my greyhounds. Definitely a summer treat, as I'd have to leave the windows open for a couple days.

Orfy, seriously, why is food in England so.............................i dont know, utilitarian. I mean, you guys eat all the fricken parts that we send to the factory and have made into dog food.

Well, except for turkey i guess. I take the neck, boil it, chop up the liver and make stuffing with those and some other dry goods.

I am a bit of a foodie and recipes like this warm my heart. There is something to be admired about taking bits and pieces that are disgusting and making them into something good.

But you also must remember, recipes like this came about because people were to poor to afford good meat. I am sure if they had a choice, they would have cooked a ribeye.

Well actually it is good.
I make it for the dogs but some of the cheaper cuts of meat if prepare and cooked well can make very good eating.
Just look at caviar and [SIZE=-1]foie gras. Now those I don't eat but they are essentially left overs.

Yes I do eat some of the liver cake whilst I'm making it.
[/SIZE]

1 lb Chicken livers
1 large sliced Onion
Thyme
Sage
Salt
Black Pepper
Dry Sherry

--Garnish--
Sour Cream
Green Onion

Begin by sweating the onions in a large saute pan in butter. Increase the heat, and then add the livers. Season with a sprinkling of Dry rubbed Sage, Thyme, Salt and Pepper. Once the livers have browned on one side, flip them and brown on the other side (the key to liver is is should not be overcooked or it becomes chalky and dry, pink is fine). As soon as they are just done increase the heat to high and add about 1/3 cup Dry Sherry and cook off the alchohol. Then add enough water to make a medium body gravy. Serve over steamed short grain rice and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with fresh green onion.

This is an incredible dish believe it or not. It would probably do well with a Pils.

orfy said:
I think you guys all missed the end of my original post!

My recipe was for the dogs!!!!!:D

Yeah I know. I thought it was funny. Figured I'd share a good recipe though since we were talking about chicken livers :D

zoebisch01 said:
Yeah I know. I thought it was funny. Figured I'd share a good recipe though since we were talking about chicken livers :D

I do like chicken livers and it does sound nice. I have difficulty not turning them into a pate' though.

orfy said:
I do like chicken livers and it does sound nice. I have difficulty not turning them into a pate' though.

I hear ya man! I use Black Trumpets in mine. Actually the recipe is very similar to the aforementioned dish except that the Trumpets are rehydrated and thrown into the pan with the livers, and I use White wine in place of the Sherry. Once it is cooked it gets thrown into the Cuisinart and I add Heavy Cream and Butter (to help solidify it). Then it's chilled for about two hours before serving. Mmmm, good stuff!

Stuffing "dog" casings makes the frankfurter, all natural. Folks been storing meat in pig entrails for hundreds of years, do what ya gotta do to survive.

Man, I love a dog with a natural casing "Snap" when I bite into it.

Copper

Copperhed said:
Stuffing "dog" casings makes the frankfurter, all natural. Folks been storing meat in pig entrails for hundreds of years, do what ya gotta do to survive.

Man, I love a dog with a natural casing "Snap" when I bite into it.

Copper

I'm with ya, my fridge has a rainbow of casing sizes. :D In fact you need natural casings to make Salami as it shrinks with the meat as it loses moisture and supports proper mold growth.

Back