Agave Wheat Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm trying to re-create the Breckinridge Agave Wheat beer through this clone recipe. Does this look reasonable?

malt & fermentables

25% 2lbs Briess Munich Malt
13% 1lb Agave Syrup, Pale
13% 1lb Alexander's Pale Extract
13% 1lb White Wheat Malt
13% 1lb Wheat, Torrified
13% 1lb Briess Carapils
13% 1lb Briess Caramel

hops

boil 60 mins 1.0 Fuggles info pellet 4.2
boil 20 mins 0.5 Cascade info pellet 5.0
boil 5 mins 0.5 Willamette info pellet 5.5

Yeast

Wyeast German Wheat (3333)

I'm trying to stay within the guidelines for an American Wheat beer, but for some reason, the calculator I'm using is saying that the Alexander's Pale LME is 1°L, which is darkening the beer overall. Will it really make much of a difference in color? What about the other ingredients? Should I replace something with a lighter colored ingredient?

I would add the Agave Syrup at flameout. Agave doesn't add much flavor, if you want to get some flavor i would not boil it.

If I wanted to turn this into an all-grain recipe, what would I substitute for the extract syrup? Does this recipe look like a decent all-grain recipe?

3 lbs. 2-row Pale
2 lbs. White Wheat
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. Caramel 10L
1 lb. Torrified Wheat
1 lb. Carapils

.5 oz Fuggles (4.0)
.25 oz. Fuggles (4.0)
.25 oz. Fuggles (4.0)

Does anybody see too much of one ingredient or too little of another?

Too much crap in that recipe. If you have that much wheat, why do you need carapils? Why torrified wheat? It's just adding **** to add it. I can't imagine those are appropriate hop additions. It's too little to be an American wheat and too much into flavor and aroma for a hefe/dunkel.

I think the recipe could be simply pale malt and white wheat. Some Munich if the Breckenridge Agave Wheat is more of a dunkel than a hefe or American wheat. Then a minor hop addition for bittering.

Also, be careful that you buy Agave Nectar/organic syrup at the store. If you look around the sugars, you will find an agave syrup that is processed down to no flavor, like corn syrup. Instead, look in the organic/whole foods section or near the honey. Either of those products will impart an agave flavor.

Too much crap in that recipe. If you have that much wheat, why do you need carapils? Why torrified wheat? It's just adding **** to add it. I can't imagine those are appropriate hop additions. It's too little to be an American wheat and too much into flavor and aroma for a hefe/dunkel.

I think the recipe could be simply pale malt and white wheat. Some Munich if the Breckenridge Agave Wheat is more of a dunkel than a hefe or American wheat. Then a minor hop addition for bittering.

I included all of those ingredients because Breckenridge listed them on their website as types of malt used in this beer. The info below is directly from the Breckenridge website.

Beer Style: American Unfiltered Wheat Ale with Agave
Flavor: Light, refreshing, yet interesting
Yeast: American Wheat
Malts: Pale, White Wheat, Torrified Wheat, Carapils, Caramel, Munich
Hops: Fuggle, Cascade, Willamette
Color: Golden Opaque
Bitterness Units: 9
Alcohol By Volume: 4.2%
Alcohol By Weight: 3.36%

I just wasn't sure what proportions to use. I may mess with the recipe more and get back to you.

Does this look more reasonable?

4 lbs. 2-Row Pale
3 lbs. White Wheat
1 lb. Munich 10L
1 lb. Caramel 10L
1 lb. Pale Agave Nectar

1 oz. Fuggles (60 minutes)

1 tsp. Irish Moss

The Breckenridge has Munich in it, and I like the malty character it adds. I'd be adding the agave nectar at flameout. According to the calculator on Hopville.com, boiling 6.5 gallons of water with an ounce of Fuggles should produce around 16 IBU's. How does all of this sound to you?

I brewed something similar a few weeks ago, but I didn't know about any other recipes existing so I wasn't trying to replicate anything, just experimenting.

I'm not at my computer so I don't know exactly what my grain bill was but I believe it was something like
4.5 lbs wheat
4 lbs pale
.25 carapils
1 lb organic agave nectar (added at end of boil)

.25 tsp irish moss at 15 min

I used three hop additions 60 min, 25 min and 5 min but don't remember exactly since I don't have my recipe in front of me. Think my IBUs were in the late twenties.
And I used a Cal lager yeast since I have plenty of it in my fridge.
It's still sitting in the secondary.

Have you brewed it yet @Chabutna? How did it turn out? I'm looking to try it myself, but I think I'll attempt to add the cascade and Willamette, too. Also, do you think I should wait for the wort temp to get down do pitching temperature like when we add other fruit?

Have you brewed it yet @Chabutna? How did it turn out? I'm looking to try it myself, but I think I'll attempt to add the cascade and Willamette, too. Also, do you think I should wait for the wort temp to get down do pitching temperature like when we add other fruit?

Sorry, I meant to update this topic a long time ago. We did brew the beer and it turned out tasting really good. I might use more wheat next time, but that's just being picky.

I suggest adding the agave at flameout if that's what you were referring to. Not sure what would happen if you wait until pitching temp, but adding at flameout worked well for us.

Back