Favorite Drunk Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsTheBrent

Reaction score
I want to know what music everyone turns on when they are intoxicated! My favorites for drunky time are Gogol Bordello, anything really bassy (hip hop/electronica), and Christy Moore, depending on my mood. You?

Early in the night - Jane's Addicition - Nothing Shocking
Getting ready to pass out - Dark Side of the Moon
Next Morning Hangover - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

I always get this urge to put on the nice headphones and listen to some classical music. Barber's Second Essay for Orchestra comes to mind right now...

Depends what I'm doing when I get to really drinking.. If I'm playing my arcade games, then 80's hairband music... just hanging around with some buddies, then Anthrax or Metallica makes me happy..

I have a song that ALL of my friends know to play when I am hammered (I'm in college, excessive drinking happens, get over it). For some reason I feel the need to turn into a hard core rapper for this song even though I rarely listen to rap.

How I could just kill a man- Rage agains the machine cover of cypress hill

In the pre-brewing years of college I was known as late night DJ. Stumble in from the bar and usually rock out to The Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Now I'm married with a newborn daughter, and still to this day listen to nothing but The Boss while drinkin some good homebrew.

Django Rheinhardt, or this French doosh who also plays well, Jascho Stephan

I highly recommend the last one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always get this urge to put on the nice headphones and listen to some classical music. Barber's Second Essay for Orchestra comes to mind right now...

Debussy has some good stuff, Prelude to the afternoon of a faun comes to mind.

Here it is, you can see where Pink Floyd got their idea for Meddle.

If I am drinking alone then anything Conor Oberst. Shoegaze is nice too, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Moose, Jesus and Mary Chain etc. Maybe Elliott Smith, depends on how ****ty I'm feeling.

If with friends playing vidya games: noise, punk, and DANCE MUSIC. Boris, Fugazi, The Faint, LCD Soundsystem, Crystal Castles. Anything that sounds awesome really.

Tom Waits.

/thread
**** yeah.

Taylor Swift. Apparently I end up confessing my undying love for her when intoxicated. It could happen though... right? I mean, were nearly the same age >.>

The Pogues

Because even at my most drunken state, my slurring of the lyrics is still more intelligible than Shane MacGowans...

Red Dirt/Texas Country is great drinking music.

Maybe Elliott Smith, depends on how ****ty I'm feeling.

man I love Elliott Smith. Depressing or not, his music is incredible. My brother put it best when he explained how Elliott Smith doesn't depress him "no matter how bad I'm feeling, I know I'm not feeling as sh*tty as he was."

Normally I listen to stuff that I would listen to sober. The Mountain Goats are awesome and I've been listening to them a lot. The lyrics are so unbelievably straight-forward without being pretentious or empty. There is a lot of depth to John Darnielle's lyrics that I can really appreciate. Too many lyricists today seem to either a) come straight out and say things with no metaphor or meaning... or b) try to veil their terrible terrible lyrics with metaphors that make you want to puke (rob thomas, anyone?)

Anyone who can sing about death, depression, heartbreak or any other travesty and still make me smile is OK in my book.

Neutral Milk Hotel is another fun one.....man just about anything I listen to normally is great :)

"And your mom would drink until she was no longer speaking...and your dad would dream of all the different ways to die, each one a little more than he could dare to try"

:ban:

forgot to add...

Once at a bar I was amazed to find "zolof and the rock and roll destroyer" (poppy punk girl music) on the jukebox....I calmly selected a song of theirs and hang my head to remain inconspicuous as I enjoyed it :fro:

man I love Elliott Smith. Depressing or not, his music is incredible. My brother put it best when he explained how Elliott Smith doesn't depress him "no matter how bad I'm feeling, I know I'm not feeling as sh*tty as he was."

Normally I listen to stuff that I would listen to sober. The Mountain Goats are awesome and I've been listening to them a lot. The lyrics are so unbelievably straight-forward without being pretentious or empty. There is a lot of depth to John Darnielle's lyrics that I can really appreciate. Too many lyricists today seem to either a) come straight out and say things with no metaphor or meaning... or b) try to veil their terrible terrible lyrics with metaphors that make you want to puke (rob thomas, anyone?)

Anyone who can sing about death, depression, heartbreak or any other travesty and still make me smile is OK in my book.

Neutral Milk Hotel is another fun one.....man just about anything I listen to normally is great :)

"And your mom would drink until she was no longer speaking...and your dad would dream of all the different ways to die, each one a little more than he could dare to try"

:ban:

You seem to have pretty cool taste, sir. I love me some Mountain Goats as well, I'm seeing them live on the 5th, can't wait. NMH is fun too, I drove home from visiting my parents the other day blasting Aeroplane. (not drunk ofc)

I can't really listen to Elliott sober anymore, I had a friend who went through some pretty terrible things recently who was always big on Elliott. Reminds me of bad times.

"I could have been a famous singer if I had someone else's voice. But failures always sounded better. Let's **** it up boys, make some noise!"

Phish
The Meters
Funkadelic
Miles Davis
John Scofield
The Grateful Dead
David Grisman Quintet
Sam Bush Band
Sun Ra
The Rolling Stones
Sly & the Family Stone
Jazz is Dead
Peter Tosh
Railroad Earth
Leo Kottke
Bill Frisell
Bob Dylan
Herbie Hancock

these are the most recent artist i remember getting drunk and listening too.

I am starting this back up (because I am always late on threads) and I enjoy this one. I am going to agree with coloneforbin (great name by the way) on Phish and the Grateful Dead when it gets real late maybe a lil more mellow with String Cheese Incident or Jerry Garcia Band

Xavier Rudd, John Butler Trio, James Brown, Floyd, U2, Alice in Chains... In no particular order. Plus various and sundry blues men from various eras.

Back