My IIPA, Altered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
Yo! I brewed a IIPA about 6 weeks ago and it's fantastic. So far, everyone is asking me to brew it again, so I figure that it will likely be one of my regular brews. Now, I made the recipe for my gf's birthday, because the girl loves her hops, so I'd like to keep it a birthday tradition brew. My birthday is coming up so I want to brew it again but to try and tweak it a bit. I'm thinking of keeping the recipe the same, but using a Begian Ale yeast strand. I love Stone's Cali-Belgique, so I was influenced to try this out on my recipe. What do you guys think?

11.8 lbs 2-row
.8 lbs German Munich Malt
.8 lbs Carmel 40L
.8 lbs Cara-Pils

1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 45
1 oz Chinook @ 40
1 oz Centinnial @ 5
1 oz Simcoe DH

Oh, and since I made the black IPA (also based on Stone's brew), how would a belgian yeast strand sound in that? Just a thought.

Oh, the yeast strand I was going to use was Wyeast 1388, Belgian Strong Ale. I hear it's pretty much spot on to Duvel, which is what I've read is what Stone uses for the Cali-Belgique.

I'd swap the 45 and 40 min adds for 15 and 10 min adds (or some other combo in the final 20mins), if you're going full boil you should have enough IBUs without them.

With the 1388 maybe swap out munich for victory or biscuit and add some sugar to dry it out. good move to drop the hops down below 20.

Back