2 tier gas/electric build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nm999

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I figured this would be a good first post. I've been brewing for three years and have been doing partial mashes on my stove and using a cooler as a MLT. But the time has come to move to all grain.

This will be a 2 tier setup with a single pump, electric HLT with a HERMS coil, gas BK, and an insulated keg for the MLT. It will be semi automated being controlled by a Love controller.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out how to control a 240 Volt element with the Love controller.

Here is the progress so far. Maybe someone can help with no clicky pictures.
stand is built from an old pool fence.

Kegs in the background.

For 240VAC, you will need to pair up a temp. controller with SSR ouput probably, to an SSR, and run the 240VAC through that. Alot of people use PIDs since they can think and are a little more effective than on/off controls like the Love. You can pick them up for $45 each.

For 240VAC, you will need to pair up a temp. controller with SSR ouput probably, to an SSR, and run the 240VAC through that. Alot of people use PIDs since they can think and are a little more effective than on/off controls like the Love. You can pick them up for $45 each.

So will the SSR just control one leg of the 240V?

So will the SSR just control one leg of the 240V?

Yes, it will. The element will not heat with one leg cut, so it will give you temp. control. I use toggle switches to control both legs to the element so that there is no current there, when I dont want it there. WhenI want the PID control, I turn the toggle ON and the element is contgrolled by the PID.

That is correct. What are you going to do to stabilize the mash temps, a RIMS or HERMS or ar you just going to recirculate without a heat exchanger and directly heat the MLT?

There will be a HERMS coil i the HLT.

Yes, it will. The element will not heat with one leg cut, so it will give you temp. control. I use toggle switches to control both legs to the element so that there is no current there, when I dont want it there. WhenI want the PID control, I turn the toggle ON and the element is contgrolled by the PID.

So does the toggle switch go before or after the SSR or does it matter?

Made some progress over the last few days. The stand is done and painted and the control panel is done. I will post pics later.

Hi everyone. I figured this would be a good first post. I've been brewing for three years and have been doing partial mashes on my stove and using a cooler as a MLT. But the time has come to move to all grain.

This will be a 2 tier setup with a single pump, electric HLT with a HERMS coil, gas BK, and an insulated keg for the MLT. It will be semi automated being controlled by a Love controller.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out how to control a 240 Volt element with the Love controller.

Here is the progress so far. Maybe someone can help with no clicky pictures.
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3553/img0974f.jpg
The stand is built from an old pool fence.
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8494/img0975g.jpg
Kegs in the background.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9577/img0973d.jpg

Lets see if this works for you.

Edit: I went back and changed the links to url's now that you have the pics redone.

Here are the progress pics. There is a heat shield between the MLT and BK, the propane tank will go under the HLT, and the control panel is made from a leftover electrical panel I had.
Any suggestions on plumbing this thing?

Do you plan on putting a shield or something to shed water off the plugs and such of the controll panel?

Do you plan on putting a shield or something to shed water off the plugs and such of the controll panel?

I hadn't planned on it. Of course it will be plugged into a GFCI protected circuit for safety, I guess when I start doing some test runs if it becomes an issue then I will figure something out.

I still have to build the vessels and figure out the plumbing.

Any suggestions on the plumbing? Mistakes made, wish I would have, If I only had a... type of stuff.

I hadn't planned on it. Of course it will be plugged into a GFCI protected circuit for safety, I guess when I start doing some test runs if it becomes an issue then I will figure something out.

I still have to build the vessels and figure out the plumbing.

Any suggestions on the plumbing? Mistakes made, wish I would have, If I only had a... type of stuff.

I wish I could help you out on that. My current system is 3 tier gravity. I did add 1 pump but it is for nothing more then the vorlauf.

Make your plumbing at least 1/2" ID and as direct as possible. Trust me

Latest posts

Back