specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims_l22

Reaction score
Hi List,
I buy my extract kits and store them in the refridgerator will the specialty grains get stale or go bad. You have might have heard this before sorry i am a novice

as long as your grains arn't cracked, you can store them. Although you said its with a kit so chances are, they are cracked. You dont want to store them for too too long. i dont know, what kind of shelf life do cracked grains have guys?

I don't know shelf-life of cracked grains specifically, but I buy about 3-4 recipes worth of grains at a time from AHS. When I get them I have them pre-packed per recipe and cracked since I don't have a mill. The last recipe doesn't get brewed for about a month and I have not had any problems.

The key is to not have any moisture or excess air in the grains. If you reduce these then you should be able to store grains for a decent amount of time.

I talked to High Gravity and they said that as long as you store the grains in plastic storage bags and leave them in the fridge. They can be stored for several months.

just make sure they don't experience any substantial sudden temperature changes or you may get condensation inside the bag which will rain on your parade real quick.

Cracked grains are good for a couple months in the fridge and you don't have to worry about keeping the extract cool.

Latest posts

Back