Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
What is the big deal? I know it is one of those beers I will never see or get the chance to taste, but I want to. There seems to be a big deal made over this beer, I wanna try it too.

You guys all suck.

Most IIPAs are not balanced and per the style probably shouldn't be but with gobbs of hop flavor and bitterness this one seems to balance really well.

Let's just say that I didn't like IIPAs or IPAs much before I had this one. I guess you could say that it opened my palette.

It's like a bunch of hops dancing in your mouth and some even make it to your nose :)

Yeah I am going to clone it, but I have never had it so I hope I don't mess it up too bad.

I need to wait for AHS to put it on sale again, or come out with a DME recipe for it. I can't justify paying $90 + $45 shipping + $40 brokerage through UPS.

AHS one is supposed to be pretty good. I have done this recipe though: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-bastid-21229/ and can say i got VERY close to the real thing.

and i disagree with the hop dance... more like a hop orgy. a very sensual orgry, and you are the only guy. it is hop-orgasmic.

Ok, your right about the hop-orgasmic thing, my bad :cross:

As far as the recipe, most recipes are close, I mean Vinnie did give it out at the AHA conference a couple of years ago and it was in Zymurgy last issue even though the numbers were a little off but they corrected that in the emails that go out.

I think the key to nailing this one would be to adjust your water to take advantage of all those hops.

You can ask Austin Homebrew to ship USPS. Even if you want to clone it yourself you'll need to order hops from the US anyway, looking at Dude's recipe I can't get half of those hops up here.

I tried Pliny for the first time a month or so ago and while it was good, it didn't blow me away. I like many other IIPAs better. I also recently tried Green Flash IIPA and it's *really* good. I like it better than Pliny.

I tried Pliny for the first time a month or so ago and while it was good, it didn't blow me away. I like many other IIPAs better. I also recently tried Green Flash IIPA and it's *really* good. I like it better than Pliny.

I think you may be talking about the Green Flash West coast IPA, their IIPA doesn't make it much further than San Diego much less Kentucky. It is confusing since their "IPA" has 95 IBUs. Either way, I recently had the IPA for the first time too. Wasn't impressed that much.

it could have a lot to do with preference for certain hop varieties. Brewing Network covered Green Flash on Can You Brew It? and it was all Columbus and Simcoe in the boil with dry hops of Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo Centennial. Pliny is Chinook, Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus and Warrior. So, maybe you just don't like Warrior or Chinook, or you just really like Cascade or Amarillo. I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

I think you may be talking about the Green Flash West coast IPA, their IIPA doesn't make it much further than San Diego much less Kentucky. It is confusing since their "IPA" has 95 IBUs. Either way, I recently had the IPA for the first time too. Wasn't impressed that much.

Nope, I meant Green Flash IIPA... caspio sent me some. :)

it could have a lot to do with preference for certain hop varieties. Brewing Network covered Green Flash on Can You Brew It? and it was all Columbus and Simcoe in the boil with dry hops of Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo Centennial. Pliny is Chinook, Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus and Warrior. So, maybe you just don't like Warrior or Chinook, or you just really like Cascade or Amarillo. I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Well, it's a fact that I do love both Cascade and Amarillo (expecially Amarillo).

Same exact recipe.

you mean AHS and Dude's are the same recipe? good to know.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

I think that the IIPA that they did on The Jamil Show was Mike McDole's Pliny clone that ended up as the SA Longshot winner. You can find it on The Brewing Network.

I was out in San Francisco this Spring and drove up the Russian River just so I could have a Pliny at the brewpub. I've never had it from the bottle, but it was delicious on tap.

I thought the Longshot version tasted absolutely nothing like the real thing.

Maybe I got a bad one or something, but that is the only beer that I remember drinking that I could not finish. Insanely bitter with nothing to back it up, and very little hop flavor/aroma. Just ridiculously bitter and nothing else. I remember my words: "Oh. That's a shame."

Back