Anything better than a REALLY good HB IPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love a wide variety of styles - porters, stouts, ambers, pale ales, bitters, wit, hefe, etc.

And until recently, I wasn't much of a fan of highly hopped beers. I'm not sure what happened, but I've been experimenting with IPAs a lot recently. I've sampled just about every commercial version I can find and I've brewed a few myself.

This last one I brewed is simply fantastic. I've really liked a lot of my beers, and I've had many great compliments about how good some of them were. But this one... wow! I've been busy lately and haven't had much to drink. Last night I drew a pint of my IPA that's been in the keg for 6-8 weeks now. Solid malty backbone, just the right amount of initial bitterness, and a nice lasting hop flavor. I'm not the best at describing beer, but it truly was great. I've brewed a lot of beer, but this was definitely the pinnacle of my homebrewing to date.

Sorry if this sounds braggy. I don't mean it to be. I know many of you make beer that I'm sure is just as good and worthy of praise. I just wonder if anyone else out there has had a similar experience with one of the homebrews - maybe it was with a different style. Anyway, here's to my IPA and fantastic homebrew that you can truly be proud of.

I agree with you. I prefer HB IPAs because they are fresh. You might be able to get a commercial IPA at the perfect time, but with HB, you know crack open the bottle when it is at the height of flavor and aroma.

Whenever you drink a homebrew that is at it's peak it is amazing.

that is the great thing about homebrew. when it reaches it's peak, you know it, and you can call buddies and all drink that beer on the day when it is at its pinnacle.

That's definitely my favorite beer in the world- a homebrewed IPA.

Mine is pretty high octane, too, to balance out some of the hops a little. But oh, is it GOOD!

I brewed an IPA for my Dad. I hated IPAs at the time but that beer turned me and a friend onto the style and have been in love ever since. That beer took second out of 51 in a comp.

My two favorite homebrews are IPAs.

One is a 7.1% that is reminiscent of a DFH 75min and the other is exactly the same except I double my 10, 5, and F.O. additions to make it a more citrisusy version. Just tapped the more citrisusy one that has aged for 2 months now and I feel like I was Jan Wolfhaus and just sipped the secret recipe Schnittsingiggle for the first time. 10 gallons of this will last me until November at the very least.

I would like to enter both in a contest (If I dont procrastinate like I did this year.) and I would really be surprised if one of them didn't place.

The extract IPA that I made a couple years ago was probably one of the best beers I've made. I really duplicate it again sometime.

Most of my best homebrews have been IPA's or hoppy APA's.

Don't get me wrong, I love a wide variety of styles - porters, stouts, ambers, pale ales, bitters, wit, hefe, etc.

And until recently, I wasn't much of a fan of highly hopped beers. I'm not sure what happened, but I've been experimenting with IPAs a lot recently. I've sampled just about every commercial version I can find and I've brewed a few myself.

This last one I brewed is simply fantastic. I've really liked a lot of my beers, and I've had many great compliments about how good some of them were. But this one... wow! I've been busy lately and haven't had much to drink. Last night I drew a pint of my IPA that's been in the keg for 6-8 weeks now. Solid malty backbone, just the right amount of initial bitterness, and a nice lasting hop flavor. I'm not the best at describing beer, but it truly was great. I've brewed a lot of beer, but this was definitely the pinnacle of my homebrewing to date.

Sorry if this sounds braggy. I don't mean it to be. I know many of you make beer that I'm sure is just as good and worthy of praise. I just wonder if anyone else out there has had a similar experience with one of the homebrews - maybe it was with a different style. Anyway, here's to my IPA and fantastic homebrew that you can truly be proud of.

So what was the recipe? I just brewed my first IPA yesterday and I can't wait to try it.

I didn't know there was any other style than IPA. Well.....and IIPAs. IPAs are about 90% of my brewing. Hell look at my avatar!

Just made a Stone IPA clone that turned out AMAZING. It's amazing what fermenting at lower temps can do for a beer.

I just finished off the last bottle of Yooper's DFH 60 clone about 2 weeks ago. It was the best beer I've ever made. I'm sticking half a keg of a fresh american IPA in the kegerator this evening that was brewed Aug. 1st.

My first IPA just turned 7 weeks old this past weekend and WOW, it is fabulous. Why I didnt brew this sooner I dont know. Beutiful copper-amber color and excellent clarity. I feel like I wasted my entire life up to this point...:(:(

My IIPA was decent. Averaged a 30 in a comp. A few months of aging and it's amazing. Even a huge beer snob thought so. Couldn't believe how well it aged, and how much better it got. Too bad that was my second to last bottle. In the comp it was at least 8 weeks old.

However my first Extra Stout was awesome, and I'm hoping this next one will be too.

My two favorite homebrews are IPAs.

Just tapped the more citrisusy one that has aged for 2 months now and I feel like I was Jan Wolfhaus and just sipped the secret recipe Schnittsingiggle for the first time. .

Just had a vision of skating around on DFH 75 minute and melting it down to drink in the Spring. :mug:

I love a good HB IPA. While some of my favorites are IIPA I prefer an IPA a little lighter.

Very light in color that you could almost mistake it for a BMC beer. 5.5-6% ABV (So you can drink more than one). Lots of late hop additions. Good dose of dry hopping. Citrus tasting hops.

Thankfully, hop prices have come down so we can all feed our IPA addiction w/o too much pain in the wallet!

So what was the recipe? I just brewed my first IPA yesterday and I can't wait to try it.

Here's the recipe. I went ahead and posted it in the recipe database, too, since it was so good.

Ingredients
Code:
[B][FONT=Courier New]Amount    Item                                    % or IBU[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Courier New]24 lbs    Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          85.71 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]2 lbs     Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)            7.14 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1 lbs     Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)   3.57 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1 lbs     Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)   3.57 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)  25.4 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (45 min)         13.7 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Cascade [4.60 %] (30 min)               6.4 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (20 min)  15.4 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.50 oz   Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (15 min)         8.9 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.50 oz   Cascade [4.60 %] (5 min)                2.0 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]2.00 oz   Cascade [4.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)       - [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.00      Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]2 Pkgs    SafAle California Ale (DCL #S-05)Yeast[/FONT]
Mash Schedule
Single Infusion Mash at 151' for 45 mins

Back