New Wheat/Kolsch Recipe - input requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
So, I wanted to do a split Wheat/Kolsch brew and put Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat) in one carboy and Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch) in the other. I'll be using whirlfloc to get some clarity to it. My desire is to brew up a clean, refreshing wheat beer and experiment a bit with kolsch yeast. I've heard of several breweries using Kolsch yeast in their wheat/wit beers, and some of them are very tasty indeed (Great White by Lost Cost for example). I'd like to get some input on this recipe and see what you guys think. Thanks!

Finished Product Parameters

--------------------------
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.047 SG (1.040-1.055 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011 SG (1.008-1.013 SG)
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM (3.0-6.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 20.3 IBU (15.0-30.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 12.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.66 % (4.00-5.50 %)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.14 %
7.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
2.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 17.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.47 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Ferment @ 65F for 2 weeks
Keg @ 37F for 2 weeks - 10psi force carb

Bummpity bump! Going to brew this one tomorrow morning...any suggestions or does this look like a tasty brew?

:tank:

should be very clean and crisp. IMO i would use a little more crystal... every time i do my wheats i wish i used a little more...i'm going with a 6 oz of C60 next time (5 gal). thats just me-i'm sure you will be very happy- those hops sound yummy. keep that kolsch low!

why the 75 min mash?

should be very clean and crisp. IMO i would use a little more crystal... every time i do my wheats i wish i used a little more...i'm going with a 6 oz of C60 next time (5 gal). thats just me-i'm sure you will be very happy- those hops sound yummy. keep that kolsch low!

why the 75 min mash?

75 minutes to make sure it finishes low. The pre-built mash profiles in BeerSmith also are set for 75 minutes for the "Light Body" option.

75 minutes to make sure it finishes low. The pre-built mash profiles in BeerSmith also are set for 75 minutes for the "Light Body" option.

do you mean make sure it finishes at a lower temp?

ps i just read your fermentation chamber thread and i am jealous! :rockin: you should have no problem keeping these nice and cool

do you mean make sure it finishes at a lower temp?

ps i just read your fermentation chamber thread and i am jealous! :rockin: you should have no problem keeping these nice and cool

No, I was referring to the finished gravity. A lower mash temp and/or longer mash guarantees more complete conversion and a lower finishing gravity. I don't know why I bother though...my beers always finish low.

Did this batch this morning, and they are happy and snug in their fermentation chamber. 78% efficiency, overshot my gravity by 1 gallon (hey more beer!), and missed my mash temp by 2 degrees (152 instead of 150F). All in all a very good day...plus, I picked my hops today! I'd have to say it was a good day!

Cheers! :tank:

Now...for the bbq chicken and tri-tip, and loads of beer! :rockin:

Back