How to Combine 2 Water Profiles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitsua

Reaction score
I have hard water and was told that the easiest way to soften it is to cut it 50/50 with Distilled water.
I have both ProMash & BeerSmith

BeerSmith allows me to add multiple waters, but can I not see the specific mineral measurements after the combination?

I have yet to figure out how to add two diff waters in ProMash. If I can get the specific mineral measurements from BeerSmith I can create a 50/50 water profile in ProMash.

Is this possible?
I am I being totally OCD?

Thanks

Unless you're trying to make a beer where the local water has a significant role in the final product (like a pilsner) I'd say you're slightly OCD. That said there's nothing wrong with trying to pin down the fine points of a recipe. My self i use my tap water since I've determined it doesn't contain chloromines and it tastes fine by itself. Plenty of people use bottled spring water and have great results never thinking about the chemistry.

As far as your question about how it's done, I'm afraid I can't give you a good answer, I use Q-Brew and water chemistry isn't an option. I plan on moving up to BeerSmith soon though. Maybe I'll start worrying about my chemistry once i have the ability to. :D

Terje

Presumably you have an analysis of your tap water.
If so, you can create a new water profile in Promash.
Click on Water (bottom line)
Click on new
Invent a new name for your water i.e. diluted local or whatever you want to call it
Enter the Ca, Mg, Na, SO4, Cl, HC03 using 1/2 the values of your tap water (because distilled water contains no ions).

I'm sure Beersmith has similar functionality.

-a.

You can do this in beersmith. Go to the water profile TOOL (not the water profile view) and enter your local water levels across the top. Fourth line up from the bottom is the "dilute with" tool. Either push the dilute with button and select "distilled water" or just enter zeros all the way across, and then adjust the number of gallons for both the distilled and tap water. For 50/50, just make sure both are the same, e.g. 2 gallons and 2 gallons. Now the "Totals" will show you the minerals in ppm of your water cocktail.

Back