Quick Poll on Brewery Names

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahuffman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've recently decided to name my brewery. I have a buddy of mine, who's a graphic designer, waiting on me to decide on a name for it so he can design a logo. Here are some of the ideas I have already:

Huffman Aleworks
Valley Station Brewing Company (my street)
Steel City Brewing Company (Birmingham)
Eleven Stars Brewing Co. (confederate flag; heritage, not hate)

So pick one of the four, but feel free to suggest something.I want the name to be about the South or where I live to have that local feel. I Actually live in a city south of Bham called Hoover. There should be a lot of options, considering there aren't really many breweries in the state.

Thanks!:D

Hey everyone. I've recently decided to name my brewery. I have a buddy of mine, who's a graphic designer, waiting on me to decide on a name for it so he can design a logo. Here are some of the ideas I have already:

Huffman Aleworks
Valley Station Brewing Company (my street)
Steel City Brewing Company (Birmingham)
Eleven Stars Brewing Co. (confederate flag; heritage, not hate)

So pick one of the four, but feel free to suggest something.I want the name to be about the South or where I live to have that local feel. I Actually live in a city south of Bham called Hoover. There should be a lot of options, considering there aren't really many breweries in the state.

Thanks!:D

I like Huffman Aleworks or Valley Station Brewing Co.

Steel City (I like IT) BUT it sounds like it may have been overdone....

I like 11 stars but you will have a graphic that you will have to overcome (lol) I Understand not hate!!!!

I like Huffman Aleworks or Eleven Star. You can be more creative that naming your brewery after the street you live on, and also Steel City Brewery is a brewery in the UK.

I like Huffman Aleworks or Valley Station Brewing Co.

Steel City (I like IT) BUT it sounds like it may have been overdone....

I like 11 stars but you will have a graphic that you will have to overcome (lol) I Understand not hate!!!!

Thanks for the input! I will say that Eleven Stars will not contain the Confederate flag

I like Huffman Aleworks or Eleven Star. You can be more creative that naming your brewery after the street you live on, and also Steel City Brewery is a brewery in the UK.

Thanks Danger. I didn't know that so I guess that rules out Steel City. I also thought about Magic City Brewing Co. but I thought it was way to close to Magic Hat.

I like Huffman Aleworks too... but I do not like how it abbreviates as HA! (as if the brewery were the butt of a joke or something)

Of what you listed, I rather like the sound of Huffman Aleworks (Aleworx? Aleworts? hee hee).

Steel City is certainly taken in the UK...and if it wasn't my assumption would be anything "steel city" would be Pittsburgh, PA....

Valley Station could give you a lot to play with in terms of imagery - gives a very rural feel.

Eleven Stars...well, the folks above covered it. There are too many "the South shall rise again" folks to assume it'll be interpreted the right way.

A suggestion....your town abbreviation of "Bham" looks visually interesting and conveys a somewhat exotic image. (Very similar to Bhang, a rather intoxicating drink from southeast asia.) Then there's the literal mispronounciation of "BAM!!!" that you could play with.....just thinking out loud....

I like Huffman Aleworks, I sort of envision that scene from the movie Modern Times with all the gears and sprockets and such.

I think Valley Station reminds me too much of Petticoat Junction or Harper Valley PTA or something like that.

I'm not sure about 11 Stars. Aside from the connotations mentioned above it's a little awkward to say. Just doesn't seem strong enough.

My Poll Opinion....

Huffman...meh...it's o.k., but not catchy to me...
Valley Station, sound like the Back to the Future town...
11 Stars.....I like the "Old South" (sorry, taken) vibe, ...screw what people think, it's your beer, your time, and your dime...

Ideas, just thinking out loud here:

Birmingham Beer Works...nice..
Iron Works Brewing Company...o.k.
Southern Steel Brewing....meh
Shelby County Beer Company....sounds like a bootlegger...I like this because I see a lot beer names in it....Bayou Run Brown Ale, Moonlight Ride Red Ale,..etc.
Buccaneer Brewing....I know, lame...
YellowHammer Brewing Company....regardless of school affiliation,...ROLL TIDE, UA'05
Dixie Star Brewing Company....reference the song & the heart of dixie...

Most of my beers are about the South as well, and I too live in Bama...My "South" is the Gulf Coast stretch between NO and Mobile....I grew up in and around the swamps and most of my beer names reflect that, Bayou Brown, Voodoo Black IPA, Southern Belle Strawberry Blonde, etc... sorry for the huge post, this is just a subject close to my heart......

Old South Brewing Company
V

Yellowhammer is already a commercial brewery up in Huntsville. I'm kinda partial to Valley Station, any nice landmarks around your area of Hoover that you could incorporate into the logo maybe?

As long as you don't steal mine (Magic City Ale Works) I'm good!

voodoocurt said:
My Poll Opinion....

Huffman...meh...it's o.k., but not catchy to me...
Valley Station, sound like the Back to the Future town...
11 Stars.....I like the "Old South" (sorry, taken) vibe, ...screw what people think, it's your beer, your time, and your dime...

Ideas, just thinking out loud here:

Birmingham Beer Works...nice..
Iron Works Brewing Company...o.k.
Southern Steel Brewing....meh
Shelby County Beer Company....sounds like a bootlegger...I like this because I see a lot beer names in it....Bayou Run Brown Ale, Moonlight Ride Red Ale,..etc.
Buccaneer Brewing....I know, lame...
YellowHammer Brewing Company....regardless of school affiliation,...ROLL TIDE, UA'05
Dixie Star Brewing Company....reference the song & the heart of dixie...

Most of my beers are about the South as well, and I too live in Bama...My "South" is the Gulf Coast stretch between NO and Mobile....I grew up in and around the swamps and most of my beer names reflect that, Bayou Brown, Voodoo Black IPA, Southern Belle Strawberry Blonde, etc... sorry for the huge post, this is just a subject close to my heart......

Old South Brewing Company
V

I appreciate your feedback! You have some really good ideas. I really like Dixie Star. I think Im still leaning toward Valley Station though because I think it has a nice ring to it. I still have a couple of days to decide though. I want something that will appeal to a lot of people. And roll tide! Thanks to everyone for your comments. Yall have been extremely helpful!

Thank you everyone for your input! I'm leaning towards Valley Station right now but I still have a couple of days to figure it out. I like Dixie Star too. thanks voodoocurt, and ROLL TIDE! and as far as landmarks go, there's a huge mall in town... haha.

pahuffman said:
Thank you everyone for your input! I'm leaning towards Valley Station right now but I still have a couple of days to figure it out. I like Dixie Star too. thanks voodoocurt, and ROLL TIDE! and as far as landmarks go, there's a huge mall in town... haha.

No problem, good luck and Roll Tide!
V

"Valley Station" is bringing up images of the cover art for the Grateful Dead's "Terrapin Station" album - with the turtles dancing on the front porch of a shack, banging tambourines....swap 'em for some steins and the turtles for whateva your local critters are....

"Valley Station" is bringing up images of the cover art for the Grateful Dead's "Terrapin Station" album - with the turtles dancing on the front porch of a shack, banging tambourines....swap 'em for some steins and the turtles for whateva your local critters are....

HA! I knew that sounded familiar. I may do just that. I like the rural feel that the name seems to portray.

Back