My electric brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I've been using this room as my brew room for about a year and It's worked great so far.Finally got it the way i want it.I'm feeding two 120v elements from a dryer circuit with both elements on switches,i love this setup being able to brew year round indoors is the only way!.Certainly not as fancy as some set ups here but it does great for my extract brewing.

electricbrewery003.jpg

electricbrewery002.jpg

electricbrewery001.jpg

Is that room normally dark? If not, shouldn't you have those carboys covered to keep the light out?

No GFCI,never got too it.And the room is totally dark when not in use.

Clifton,What would you like pics of?...It's pretty much all there.A dryer circuit feeds those two boxes which feed my two elements.

I can't tell from the pics, but is the utility sink hooked into your hose plumbing, or do you "mcguyver" some kind of connection? Just curious- I'm working on an all electric basement brewery, but our plumbing is cast iron. i dont want to crack into it.
Are the elements mounted in the keggle, or did you go with heatsticks?

Pictures of your elements, mounting, etc. is what I was asking for. BTW, you really should have that on a ground faulted circuit (just for safety).

BeantownD,the sink is hooked up properly,there was a sink there before.No heatsticks.

Clifton,here ya go.Pic of element mounting.

Elements001.jpg

Nice. I'm always interested in how folks mount/encase their elements. I like that design.....it's probably better than a box!

BeantownD,the sink is hooked up properly,there was a sink there before.No heatsticks.

Clifton,here ya go.Pic of element mounting.

Elements001.jpg
Nice job! What size elements are those? Do you fire both to get to boil and then kill one for a slow rolling boil? I like the simplicity of it.

1500 watt,the high density ones.I have them both switched but run them both all the time.I like a heavy boil.Never had a problem with scorching,was a bit worried about that when initially setting it up.

With both of them on, how long does it take to get to a boil? Have you ever tried just one after the boil is going? I'm just wondering if it works because I know nothing about how many watts od element it takes to keep a boil going.
What did you pot your element wiring with? That looks like a great way to avoid a shock, and hold things together.

It takes about 30 minutes to boil,never timed it but It's not long at all for about 7 galloons of water to boil.I leave them both on all the time.For the elements just got some pvc collar thingies from lowes,put them over the elements and wires and filled with a two part epxy.

Back