New to making cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzukiZ400

Reaction score
Hey,

I am very interested in learning how to brew cider. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what beginner recipes are the easiest for a newbie. I would also like to know approximatly how long it takes to get a decent tasting cider from start to finish. Anyone will help....like I said I'm new and have no idea what i'm doing.
Thanks a lot

Z400

Basic cider is just fresh apple juice and yeast, two weeks to ferment, two to settle. When you start boosting the sugar content by adding honey, fruit, juice concentrate, etc. it can take a lot longer. If you can find juice in gallon glass bottles, you can add yeast and an airlock. Can't get any easier.

I've heard it can take about 3 months to age the cider in bottle before drinkable--but I'm also new--I haven't bottled my first batch yet...but hope to in a week

how ready are you to start? do you have supplies yet?

I make cider from fresh squeezed juice. As others have said, a basic cider is the juice plus your favourite yeast, then wait.

Mine needs at least 3-6 months in the carboy to reach it's peak flavour.

I brew beer and now concideing hard cider. There are cider mills around me that have some great cider, so I'm planning on starting there. Does it matter if it's pasteurized or not? Also, would appreciate any yeast suggestions. I was thinking, White Labs Trappist or Abbey Ale?

Back