unorthodox but possible? (juicebrew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desperatebrewer

Reaction score
So I saw this video and am wondering If it is valid at all.

basically in this method, someone adds sugar and fast acting yeast straight to a container of juice. a few days later, it yields a high percentage of alcohol.

Im pretty sure it isn't possible to get 26% with this method.
Is this method even safe? Could this be dangerous? And would it even taste decent?

I am professional in other areas of brewing (cider beer ect.) this is just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he used what appears to be a TurboYeast and most are marketed with a potential of 23%, and we all know that thresholds are typically exceeded by a few points under ideal conditions.

I make a quick ferment similar to that using the E-Z Caps product, www.e-z-caps.com, but have never tried to hit 23% or higher. Really would not want to.
I will say I make an awesome BlueberryPom sparkling wine in less than seven days, it is much requested at gatherings.

Is there any danger in brewing with this^^^ method?
Is methanol only a factor when it comes to distillation?

desperatebrewer said:
Is there any danger in brewing with this^^^ method?
Is methanol only a factor when it comes to distillation?

Methanol is not a concern with alcohol from yeast.

Other than a hangover, no other issues!

Lol, i'd say the biggest danger would be letting anyone with taste buds drink it! Ugh, sounds like 'rocket fuel' to me. :p

Having said that, I know it's possible. I've got fellow homebrewers in the area who use turbo yeast all the time. It works up to 24% as far as I've been told. And that's from guys who use it.

saramc said:
Well, he used what appears to be a TurboYeast and most are marketed with a potential of 23%, and we all know that thresholds are typically exceeded by a few points under ideal conditions.

I make a quick ferment similar to that using the E-Z Caps product, www.e-z-caps.com, but have never tried to hit 23% or higher. Really would not want to.
I will say I make an awesome BlueberryPom sparkling wine in less than seven days, it is much requested at gatherings.

Recipe?

Ok, do not laugh. This is for EZ caps use. I buy blueberry pom juice, try to find 100%. 64 oz for example. I usually add 1.5 cups sugar after removing the same volume juice. Save that juice. Add my EZ cap yeast, apply airlock....or transfer juice/sugar/yeast to a 2L bottle and use the EZ cap lid. Taste in about five days, remove airlock when ready to cold crash, seal bottle. It is usually nice and bubbly by the time I cold crash. I top off with juice as soon as I have volume available.

Ok, do not laugh. This is for EZ caps use. I buy blueberry pom juice, try to find 100%. 64 oz for example. I usually add 1.5 cups sugar after removing the same volume juice. Save that juice. Add my EZ cap yeast, apply airlock....or transfer juice/sugar/yeast to a 2L bottle and use the EZ cap lid. Taste in about five days, remove airlock when ready to cold crash, seal bottle. It is usually nice and bubbly by the time I cold crash. I top off with juice as soon as I have volume available.

:D I am laughing!!! This is very interesting. I drink most of my wine young, (bottled and cold crashed after 2 1/2 months) with the exception of the carmel apple mead. Who knew you could make it in 7 days? The husband likes the bubbles...ALOT, I might have to order some of this yeast and give it a go! Thanks!

I have a 64 oz Welches White Grape and Peach and I think I will try this. Not looking for carbonation but something drinkable in a short period of time. I will experiment with it then. Will probably rack it with the all in one pump to get rid of CO2.
Sara do you think this will work? I have lots of bungs and airlocks

I have a 64 oz Welches White Grape and Peach and I think I will try this. Not looking for carbonation but something drinkable in a short period of time. I will experiment with it then. Will probably rack it with the all in one pump to get rid of CO2.
Sara do you think this will work? I have lots of bungs and airlocks

If you use the EZ Cap yeast, yes. Other wine yeasts will not have this quick turnaround time. Safale-05 has been thw closest I can find for 'quick ferment that is ready to drink'. But now I keep EZ cap stuff in stock.

Back