(Not Quite) Ugly Junk, Graphically Changeable Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my English and Scottish ones.

399538_10150939879814067_2088952666_n.jpg
208979_10150939891594067_1096337464_n.jpg

426939_10150939893154067_828948643_n.jpg
539841_10150939893884067_552826973_n.jpg

I spent a good week trolling through google image for pinups and copying anything that I liked. I have a nice file of them now for any beers I decide to do.

Yeah, I totally understand that you were just looking for images for your REALLY NICE tap handles. I've done that too. :D or :ban:, your choice

Very creative Revvy....puts my cedar stick tap handles to shame. The interchangeability in your desing is genius and the graphics are fantastic!

So I've now completed the last phase of the tap handle build...Something to display the images that are not currently on tap. I settled on using a simple sheet metal plate available at homedepot for under 20 bucks.

The materials are;

824808bc.jpg

1 24x36 inch zinc coated metal sheet. (Home Depot) $19.99
1 Roll of black faux leather adhesive backed contact paper (Home Depot) $7.00
1 24x36 Poster Frame (Meijer's ) $14.00
2 3M Command Sawtooth hangers.
51viFrmYh6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The contact paper has a bit of a grain to it, so it doesn't look flat.
686411d1.jpg

Assembly is simple, but takes some fiddling (2 people would make it easier) and you may end up wasting some of the contact paper. But basically the width of the contact paper roll is 1/2 the width of the sheet metal. So I cut two pieces and stuck them on the sheet. I cut it a little longer and folded it over the top and bottom of the metal plate.

There will be 100s of air bubbles between the two layers, you'll have to take a needle or an exacto knife and pop them and burnish the sheet smooth onto the metal. A plastic putty knife works well to help adhere the contact sheet to the metal.

The poster frame is basically made up of 1 piece of thick cardboard backerboard with sawtooth clips in the back to mount the poster to the wall, one thin transparent cover for the poster, and 4 pieces of mitered plastic frame ends that holds everything together. You can get them in white, black or silvered...I opted for black on black.

Using the transparent cover over the coated metal plate does not allow the magnets on the baseball card holders to adhere all that well, yet if you don't have it, the metal sheet and the cardboard are not thick enough to be held together by the frame pieces. I put the clear sheet between the metal plate and the cardboard backer and the three pieces made for a tight fit.

That's basically all there is to it. Just hang it on the wall, I used the 3m clips with the adhesive that you can stretch to remove it from the wall without ruining the paint. And laid out the graphic cards in a pleasing patter. There's room for more as I make them.

551cf3f6.jpg

So the keezer build is effecitively done.

f74a07db.jpg

871d024c.jpg

I think these are cool awesome idea. What are other DIY tap handles y'all have made. Been wracking the brain tryin to fig something out!

On Saturday between nearly constantly running my IPA cotton candy machine I actually managed to brew a batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin clone. Here is the tap handle graphic I through together. Tried to keep some of the original elements from the iconic hobgoblin label but keeping in the theme of my Pin Ups.

hobgoblinqueen-59730.jpg

Don't sweat it. I'm not super social either, but everyone is super friendly. And just think, you already know you have something in common - beer. Just talk about what you know. I always feel like I've taken something away from each meeting, whether from the meeting itself or from talking to the other people about brewing. And even if you don't learn something, you'll at least get to try some great beer :) If you even wanted to go to a Bloatarian meeting, just PM me and I'll save you a seat.

I wasn't happy with the first set of tap handles I made and posted here earlier, so I started over. I'm much happier with how these turned out. I looked at it as being a fun cheap project with the total cost coming in under $30 to make both.

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Back