Taste of Green Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verde

Reaction score
Can anyone describe the taste of green beer?
I see many posts talking about it but I am not certain of the taste.

Tasted a bottle of my first batch after 1 week conditioning = not yet carboniated and tasted watery.

Tasted a bottle after 2 weeks = mild carboniation, not much of a head, the first sip it tasted like beer that was watered down but then towards the end of the glass much better.

Are any of the above characteristics of green beer?

FYI: this is a brewers best kit (classic english ale) and I did 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary before bottling.

I generally notice a yeasty flavor. Sometimes it is exagerated towards one flavor--REALLY hoppy, not much else, or really watery, not much else, etc.

With time that will meld the flavors together and get MUCH better.

Patience, grasshopper!

:D

Yeah, wait.
When you're all done waiting, wait some more.

My most recent green beer taste was a harsh hop taste, like chewing on a high alpha hop pellet. I let it sit a few more weeks and it was a really nice beer.

Time heals all wounds, and help most beers. Brew some more while you wait.

Nothing like a good chew of a columbus pellet to purk you up when your tired.

I kegged a beer for cold storage. I usally go 3 weeks in the primary then keg, but I needed the carboy so I kegged after one week. (FG was unchanged for 3 days). It will turn out ok I'm sure after it ages for several weeks but...

I decided to give it a try for the hell of it today (4 days in the fridge) and it tasted like a cascade pellet that farted.

Back