Cider wib preservatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUEnder

Reaction score
I put a packet of champaign yeast onto a half gallon of commercial cider preserved with potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate. Sam's was selling gallon jugs of the stuff. I'm using a growler with an airlock attached. It is fermenting. My questions are:
1. Will this turn into anything drinkable?
2. If so, how long until I can get something relatively dry and ready to carbonate?
3. Best way to carbonate?

Thanks in advance!

AUEnder said:
I put a packet of champaign yeast onto a half gallon of commercial cider preserved with potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate. Sam's was selling gallon jugs of the stuff. I'm using a growler with an airlock attached. It is fermenting. My questions are:
1. Will this turn into anything drinkable?
2. If so, how long until I can get something relatively dry and ready to carbonate?
3. Best way to carbonate?

Thanks in advance!

Im just surprised it is fermenting since potasium sorbate is supposed to prevent that

Hello AUender,

You will end up with a dry cider, unless you decide to stop fermentation early either by cold crashing or pasteurizing, ect. If this is your first attempt at cider, I recommend just letting it finish out to dry. This should happen in about 3 weeks depending on temperature. Once it's finished, it's really up to you about how long you want to wait until you bottle/drink. The longer it can age, the finer it will taste. With dry ciders, I try to give them at least 3 months time to mellow and mature...and I will tell you that it's worth it to wait.

The best way to carbonate will be to bottle condition. Using priming sugar of your choice (dextrose, cane sugar, ect.) add 1 tbsp and 1 tsp. The general rule is 3/4 cup per 5 gallon. 16 tbsp per cup, 12 per 3/4. 12 divided by 5 = 2.4 tbsp so 1.2 tbsp per half gallon.
Dissolve the sugar in a little warm water and add to your half gallon at the time of bottling. Make sure everything is sanitized and add the cider to bottles and cap (if you are using 12oz bottles you fill about 5.) Let these sit at room temp for about 2 weeks and they should be carbed at that time.

Enjoy!

please let us know how this turns out. I have gotten cider with preservatives to ferment but it had an awful flavor and odor that never went away. Ultimately it was undrinkable. I hope your results turn out better!

Back