New to wine making need some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stric9

Reaction score
Is there a thread on here that gives almost a step by step listing of how to make wine? With the exception of 1 batch all my wine just sucks. We have amazing ideas for good flavors of wine but we cant seem to get the ideas off the paper. We have all the necessary equipment minus the hydrometer that a 1 year old got a hold of. Making 1 gallon batches. Thanks in advance for any help.

We are actually doing fruit based wines. Pretty much everything but grapes. Is there that much of a difference in between the to processes?

Fruit wines almost never taste like the fruit.

Try some kit wines to get the method and processes down, then move on to country wines.

We don't have a great resource here on this site for beginning winemakers, but I love this site: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

He has step-by-step instructions as well as hundreds and hundreds of country wine recipes and techniques. The site is a bit hard to navigate at first, but don't give up! It's worth it.

We actually pulled off a damn good mead but everything else tastes like water with no alcohol in it. I love jack kellers site too thats where I started from but some of it just get jumbled up on me cause you have to read alot in order to understand how he operates. Thanks for the help guys

For me it's been a journey of trial and error. I've spent a great deal of time reading up on different methods and techniques but putting them into practice is something completely different. I've made some serious tripe, but also some pretty awesome, high grade wine.

I think the key ingredient, that gets mentioned so little in recipes, is patience.

Dicky!

I found the book The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey to be helpful for making fruit wines.

Back