1/2 barrel keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdew4545

Reaction score
Anyone keg with 1/2 barrels? Is this possible from a Homebrewer standpoint, meaning, are there special tools needed to remove the tap connector and clean the thing out. I really have no idea what the inside of a keg is like. I'm assuming there is just a tube that goes from the bottom up to the tapper for the beer to flow in, and the pressure forces the beer up. But since I've only seen posts for corny kegs, I didn't know if working with 1/2 barrels was a much bigger project besides the volume of the batch to fill and the space to store.

Also, with any type of kegging....once you pressurize the beer in the keg, can you unhook the CO2 and just keep it in the fridge with no pressure leaks? This would be ideal if a 1/2 barrel was used.

Last question...how long will beer last once tapped with the pressure on it? Is it possible to tap a keg (using a CO2 tank of course) and then re-pressurize it and untap it and save the rest? (this only would work if the answer to the last question was a yes)

yep all that will work just tap and go bro. I dont think many of us use 1/2 barrel mainly because of the size, cost and hassel and cleaning equipment needed. also brewing 12 gal batches is the most (most) of us can brew at a time(except Monster Mash... you stud)
JJ

Back