Oaked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeter31

Reaction score
I just ordered some ingredients but I am not sure of my hop schedule for my extract recipe.

7 lbs - Canadian Pale LME
1 lb - Caramel 60L
0.5 - Victory (toasted in oven for 20 mins)

2 oz Cascade - 60 mins
1 oz Cascade - 5
1 oz Cascade Dry
4 oz Bourbon Soaked Oak chips in secondary.

I have the following hops in the freezer I got from a guy who got out of brewing.

Amarillo Gold pellet 1 oz
Cascade pellet 4 oz
Cascade plug 5 oz
Hallertauer pellet 4 oz
Pearle pellet 2 oz
Pearle leaf 1 oz
Tettnang pellet 2 oz
Williamette pellet 2 oz

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Soory about the lack of alpha on the hops. I am newbie. They have probably been sitting in a freezer for a year.

Where would I get the info for the alpha?

That seems like a lot of oak to use, I'd only keep it on the oak for a short amount of time.

Since your going to have such a big oak flavor, I would add some hops. Maybe add an oz of amarillo at 15-20 minutes and then add another oz of cascade or an oz of amarillo in the dry hops.

If your kegging its a bit easier to get the flavors right, but if your bottling you better make sure you've got it good before bottling. The last Oak IPA I made I used oak cubes in the keg and let them sit till I got the amount of oakiness I wanted, then I moved to another keg and dry hopped in the keg.

Since your going to have such a big oak flavor, I would add some hops. Maybe add an oz of amarillo at 15-20 minutes and then add another oz of cascade or an oz of amarillo in the dry hops.

I like this hop schedule.

The alpha is usually on the package.

I was thinking a week on the oak cubes but would this be too much?

Or I was thining I could dry hop for a week and then add the oak cubes and taste daily until I am satisfied with the flavor and rack to another carboy.

I am bottling.

Thanks again. :mug:

I was thinking a week on the oak cubes but would this be too much?

Or I was thining I could dry hop for a week and then add the oak cubes and taste daily until I am satisfied with the flavor and rack to another carboy.

I am bottling.

Thanks again. :mug:

Are you using cubes or chips? I assume chips since thats what your first post said. chips tend to give up the goods quicker than cubes. I prefer to use a small amount of cubes for a longer time.

I'd do it the other way. First get your oak in there till your happy with the flavor, then get it off the oak and get your hops in.

I'd skip soaking it in bourbon. It really does nothing to kill nasties, and does not contribute flavor. Just boil the chips to sanitize. If you want a bourbon flavor, just add a shot or two.

When you add the oak, check the flavor often. The oak can take over fast.

Pardon the silly question, but when you add oak, what does it actually taste like?

You add oak to the beer in a secondary tank once it has finished fermenting. For a lot of good information, look up the Jamil Show podcast from The Brewing Network on "Wood Aged Beer". You can access the Jamil Show through itunes music store for free.

Oaking typically happens when beer or wine is aged in oak barrels. The beverage picks up some character from the wood. Oak barrels are slightly charred on the inside. Therefor, it adds a degree of vanilla, earthy and some woody flavors. Since oak barrels are expensive and large, homebrewers use oak cubes or chips to gain the same flavors as aging in a barrel.

what is the OG supposed to be- looks like kind of a light beer to be putting on oak, IMO

be careful- with a light bodied beer like this the oak can take over fast

I have some extra DME in the fridge if you think I need to up the gravity.

How often do I need to be checking the oak? I was going to check daily but is that often enough? Any guesses on how long to let it in the secondary? 1 or 2 days or more like a week?

I would suggest upping the gravity. Seems like a light IPA. As is it will probably come out in the 1.040's range for OG.

Back