Sake Milled Short Grain Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skirent

Reaction score
I have been trying to find good 40% or more milled rice and CAN NOT find it. I have been told to contact a manufacture that mills rice for a large sake brew company, but I fear they will not help me out for a small order.

Currently using "Koshihikari (Sushi) Rice" from http://www.martinrice.com/products/index.html

Thus, any good links for milled rice (Or get rice milled Or mill it yourself) AND
Do you think the Martin Rice would be a decent substitute?

That is odd, the OP posted the first reply and answered his own question. That seems a tad bit fishy too me, especially with a post count of 4...

yes, but he asked the original question over a month ago. it took him a month of research to figure that out. wish we could have helped, but personally I don't brew sake. And with the rice shortage...

I have found this in my local Asian food market: Hakubai sweet rice. The ingredients are glutinous milled rice. Score!

Paul B

Here's the tricky part. Milled rice simply means rice that has had the husk and bran removed. (brown rice is not milled rice for example). The term polish can really be used as well for this. The degree of removal is expressed at a percentage. (I may have that backwards and it's the degree remaining that's expressed as a percentage.) In any case, many white rices are milled rice. The extent of the milling may differ.

This amount of milling also determines the quality and sometimes the type of the sake.

As mentioned a few years ago fhsteinbart still sells the rice used at SakeOne-Momokawa. (Per Greg Lorenz in an interview on April 26, 2011) Actually, it appears that fhsteinbart actually resells it, sourced from SakeOne.

Additionally, here's a tidbit about milling from Fred Eckhart

I guess what I was trying to point out was that I found something that is locally available. It just doesn't make sense economically to have a bag of rice shipped to you. This stuff is available at Walmart even! I have yet to try it though, so take this with a grain of rice, I mean salt!

Paul B

Sure thing! I've heard that K.Rose sushi rice is one that's often used, and I expect to be using that myself for the first time or two. It should have the same milling degree as the one you picked up. I thought that it'd be worth mentioning about the information (from taylor made and from Fred Eckhart as well as SakeOne) since it wasn't mentioned in this thread about why it matters.

Definately not quite econonmical to get something shipped, but the quality should be worth the shipping cost, you know... once we know what we're doing...

Luck to you, let us know how it turns out.

Back