Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingchr1

Reaction score
I just got a Brew Boss controller, so I thought I'd start a thread on it. The Brew boss is the new system from the creator of the picoBrew E-BAIB system. Where the picoBrew was specific to BIAB, the Brew Boss is user customizable to just about any brew process and is controlled via an Android tablet app. The website (brew-boss.com) has a lot more information on it. I did not get a complete system. I got the DIY controller (minus Android tablet) and a weldless probe adapter. I plan on using it on a two vessel system. Combination BK/HLT with cooler MLT, gravity drain first runnings, pump the rest. I currently have a three vessel system (Link to my current system in the Show me your brew rig thread).

I was one of the people who discussed making the picoBrew more universal with the creator. As mentioned in other threads, he was very responsive to all my questions and suggestions. Most of all he went ahead and created this system and offered me one prior to its release.

Unfortunately, I probably wont get to brew with it for at least a few weeks as I'm still building my system. I need an Android tablet, spa panel and I'm awaiting the release of the Blichmann Boil Coil. I hope to have a tablet soon, so I can at least mess around with the app.

Hopefully others will get this system, brew with it sooner than I'm going to and contribute to this thread on it.

Brew Boss Controller (edit).jpg

I bought the full system (minus the hopboss) which is waiting for me at home to return from travel. I should have the system up and running next weekend and will post pics and a report.
My plan is to use it for BIAB for the first several batches and then try my 8 gal pot as the top pot in a brutus type system like that just released by Blichmann...electric version of course. It should work as well if not better than that system and be less than half the cost when all is said and done...

stay tuned,
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Is there any stand alone control or is all interaction through the app? I have an existing kettle with 2 120 2kw elements, can I just get the controller to run that system? (the materials indicate it comes with 15kw elements)

Is there any stand alone control or is all interaction through the app? I have an existing kettle with 2 120 2kw elements, can I just get the controller to run that system? (the materials indicate it comes with 15kw elements)
You can get just the controller alone (no elements), but it runs on the Android app. You need an Android tablet to run it. When you get to their purchase page there are options on system configurations.

This looks like a very cool setup. I'm in the process of converting my 3 vessel system over to electric, and this might be a cool option. I was messing around with the app last night, but it looks like it can really only control one vessel. I noticed in the specs it says it can control two elements, but is that just two 120v elements simultaneously? If I have my HLT and BK in seperate vessels fired by a 5500K 240V elements, would I just need to unplug the HLT element and plug in the BK element when it comes time boil?

If I have my HLT and BK in seperate vessels fired by a 5500K 240V elements, would I just need to unplug the HLT element and plug in the BK element when it comes time boil?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to move the plug from one vessel to another. I'd try to install some type of switch, so you could just switch between elements.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to move the plug from one vessel to another. I'd try to install some type of switch, so you could just switch between elements.

Thats a good idea. Maybe some sort of junction box with the input from controller and two lines going out. One for each element. Then I could just mount a heavy duty DPDT switch to select which element is firing.

Why not build your own if you are going to go to that much trouble? It is priced at a premium. You can build your own that supports multiple sensors and elements for about the same.

Actually I think his pricing is super reasonable, you could definitely build something yourself cheaper, but if that's not part of this hobby that you value then your time has to have value, and the time to learn some of what he's doing (the software controlled step mash is pretty cool for biab users) isn't insignificant. If it's a part of the hobby you want to do, then you're not looking to buy a solution anyway.

The Brew Boss controller has the capability of driving dual elements, we just started by focusing on single and parallel element solutions. Support for dual elements will be fully supported soon. It will allow only 1 element at a time to be energized though, because the current draw of both at the same time would exceed a 30 amp circuit.

Chris

I would like to hear more about your 2 vessel system, and how you plan to incorporate the
Brew Boss and the Boil Coil.

I have been thinking along the same lines, 2 vessel system, and just patiently waiting for the Boil Coil, to see what kind of 'controller' people are paring with the BC.

Thanks
Steve

Chris

I would like to hear more about your 2 vessel system, and how you plan to incorporate the Brew Boss and the Boil Coil.

I plan on having the Boil Coil in a combination HLT/BK (HT). I believe the Boil Coil is going to have a standard locking plug on it, should be no issue with using it with the Brew Boss or any other controller for that mater. The kettle end however, has that unique connector on it.

Basically, I believe my process will be:

1) Heat strike water in HT.
2) Pump to MLT.
3) Add grains to MLT.
4) While mashing, heat sparge water in HT.
5) Drain MLT to a bucket. (can't pump to HT since it's still being used)
6) Pump sparge from HT to MLT.
7) Add runnings from bucket to HT.
8) Start heating HT to boil.
9) Pump MLT to HT.
10) Boil

I make 5 gallon batches, so draining the first runnings to a bucket isn't much (3 to 4 gallons).

My goal is to use as much of my existing equipment as possible, all though I may down size the kettle from 10 gallon to 8 gallon so I can brew indoors on my stove top. While the 10 fits, an 8 should give a little more room to the microwave/exhaust fan. Also, my 10 has a thermo and level gage that really won't be needed any longer. I would etch the inside of the kettle with level markings as shown in a thread on here.

So, you will just 'hot wire' the Boil Coil to the Brew Boss, and go from there...?

The Brew Boss will control the Boil Coil - directly.

Your plan sound remarkably like mine.
I am going to try and add HERMS coil to the HLT/BK as well.
Recirculate the mash....etc.

Let me know when you start your build thread ! ;)

S

If someone could please explain how they would use dual heater outputs on the controller I'd start incorporating that functionality into the Brew Boss controller. Note that only one heater can be used at a time.

Thanks,

Darin

My process using dual heater outputs would actually be very similar to ingchr1's dual vessel process. Here is how my process breaks down.

1) Heat strike water in HT.
2) Pump to MLT.
3) Add grains to MLT.
4) While mashing, heat sparge water in HT.
5) Drain MLT to BK.
6) Pump sparge from HT to MLT.
7) Drain MLT to BK
8) Start heating BK to boil.
9) Mix sanitizer solution in HT
10) Recirculate sanitizer from HT thru counterflow chiller (While Boiling in BK)
11) End Boil
12) Pump wort thru counterflow chiller to fermentor.

I would never need to fire both elements at the same time, but having control over two elements allows me to not have to use HT as a BK as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just a personal preference.

If someone could please explain how they would use dual heater outputs on the controller I'd start incorporating that functionality into the Brew Boss controller. Note that only one heater can be used at a time.

Thanks,

Darin

I have two 5500 elements in BK and two in HLT. I use both in the BK or HLT to heat strike water and dump to mash. Then use both in HLT to heat sparge water. After sparge I use both in BK to come to boil then reduce to one element to maintain boil. While using one in BK I can use one in HLT to heat PBW for cleaning. My electrician wired the four elements with on/off switches, interlocked so that only two elements can be fired simultaneously (ie. top HLT/bottom BK or bottom HLT/top BK). I have no temperature sensors or automated controls.

So, I was able to install my 240v/30A GFCI circuit in the garage, water test and then brew with the Brew Boss.

The purchased setup is: 15gal kettle with basket and bag along with custom lid/sparge arm, drain port, 5500W element, WiFi enabled brew controller, direct contact temp sensor and Android tablet. I had my own pump (one of those tan $20 versions from ebay) and it works just fine. I also had my own CF chiller.

Disclaimer: I'm serving as a beta tester so I'm trying to exercise the system to find as many kinks as possible. I did find a couple and have fed those back. Communication with Darin (developer) is easy and response is immediate. I did pay for the system with my own $ and have no financial interest in the system/company. My only interest is helping the developer get a great system into the marketplace for all of us.

I'll start with the conclusion. The system is incredible. :rockin::rockin:

It is highly flexible and highly programmable. As the developer states, that carries responsibility. I did muck up a couple of programming steps at the end of the brew cycle and missed one of they hop adds. These were my mistakes, not the system's.

I brewed a 10gal batch of the "Miller Like" (blonde ale) that is shown in the manual. It calls for 13 gal of strike water and 16 lbs of grain. The instructions call for adding the grain to the basket and lowering the entire thing in when the system reaches strike temp. That requires a very slow lower to avoid overflow and results in the kettle being full to the top. This placed the sparge arm below the surface of the mash which worked out just fine. Temp barely moved from strike temp after adding grains.

The controlled brew process is just that, controlled. The BrewBoss app talks to the controller via USB or in my case WiFi. Depending on programming, it prompts you at various stages and requires a confirmatory key press to continue (e.g. "replace lid and open valve" - key press causes pump to come on and temp to be held). It ramps to and maintains mash within a degree, heats to boil using sensing versus a set temp (or can chase a particular temp), cycles the pump on/off at the appropriate times, etc. You also have full manual control of the element and pump and can select the a brew step to start at (I guess if for some reason you had to pause).

Heated 13 gals of water from 63 degrees to 154 degrees in 35 mins.

The only thing to do really is measure/crush add grains and sit back and watch (or sit somewhere else)! I didn't test the range of the wifi but in theory you could carry your tablet around and visit the brew process when needed.

Once mash is complete, including mashout, you remove the basket and bag, let it drain or squeeze or sparge (I squeeze while it's hanging over the pot and the pot is coming to boil).

With the 13 gal strike water and a gentle squeeze, I had about 12 gals of wort to the boil. I did have to watch for boil over and sprayed it down a couple of time. I ended with 11 into the fermenter leaving most break/hop material behind.

My preboil efficiency calculated at 88% and brewhouse efficiency of 92%.

I couldn't be happier with the system. It does exactly what I expected and more. I could and will probably use this controller/system to create a two vessel Brutus like that just released (but electric) elsewhere. You simply need to have a stand that holds the upper mash tun above the boil pot and connect the pump/hose accordingly. The programmable control of the BrewBoss makes it an easy application. For now, BIAB works great.

Attached are photos of my Frankenbrew setup. I didn't want to wait to build the stand to brew with it so I set it all up on a Black&Decker workmate. It all fit, but in hindsight the electronics are closer to the pot than I'd care for.

Happy to answer any questions.

Again, completely stoked over this system. I can't wait to brew again.

Mark

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Thanks mjc999 for the review. Your preboil efficiency of 88% is impressive. I currently batch sparge but I have been thinking about purchasing this system to try out eBIAB. The 2 vessel Brutus system is something I have been considering as well.

Mark - just wanted to say that was a fantastic write-up. I've ordered a system, and even without having it yet, I've been pretty thrilled with the developer. I'm doing a 20amp 120v system, and he's had to re-engineer some of the hardware to work with that setup. He was more than willing to come up with something that should work great. Absolutely can't wait to start brewing with this.

I did want to ask - what's the serial / vga, whatever cable for?

Does the drain valve have any kind of dip tube installed or is it just a standard 1/2" opening on the inside of the kettle?

Does the drain valve have any kind of dip tube installed or is it just a standard 1/2" opening on the inside of the kettle?

No dip tube. I don't think you'd want it. The drain is close enough to the bottom to get all but about 3/4 gal which leaves the junk behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice write-up mjc999, that's what I was looking for by starting this thread. I'm still a couple weeks out on having my system up and running, but I'll have it going as soon as possible.

The new system looks great, I have the pico brew from him and I cannot wait for the new firmware. I am curious why I see other EBIAB systems getting way higher efficiency. Mine is consistent at 72% so I am not complaining but curious none the less. I recommend this system, the customer service is very good.

The new system looks great, I have the pico brew from him and I cannot wait for the new firmware. I am curious why I see other EBIAB systems getting way higher efficiency. Mine is consistent at 72% so I am not complaining but curious none the less. I recommend this system, the customer service is very good.

Do you squeeze the grain bag? I do. That is the only big difference I see among techniques.

Of course, my calculations could be off too, but I don't think so. I typically use an online calculator. Forget which one.

Have you checked your water chemistry? It plays a big role in efficiency. Because BIAB is a full volume mash, it has differing buffering capacity than traditional mashing. I'm no expert, but others may want to weigh in on this as well. With the Brew Boss BIAB system, I get from 75-82% and use 76% for my calculations.

Great thread, great ideas all around.

Could this be used to run a 220v 3 vessel E-HERMS with 2x 5500 elements, one in the hly and one in the BK?

Tim

Thanks,

Darin

Heat strike water in HLT
Transfer to MT
Refill HLT with water to be heated for sparge, heat to mash temp
Circulatethrough HERMS coil in HLT during mash, using HLT to control the temp of the mash
Heat sparge water to mash out temp
mashout and sparge
Fire BK for boil.

That is my thoughts for a 3 vessel, 2 element (one fired at a time) E-Herms

Tim

Would this be suitable to run a RIMs system? Can the BrewBoss control the heating element to maintain a very specific mash temp?

Just wanted to give my $0.02 about the Brew Boss dual 110v system. I am currently living in a rental and can't add another 240v outlet or easily access the ones that are in the house. Doing boils on the crappy electric stove was always hit or miss to hit and hold my mash temps, and forget about doing a 5 gallon batch. Simply couldn't boil that much wort. I looked at building the Dual Brutus or a similar system to the Brew Boss, but the amount of spare time I have is limited and when I priced out all the bits and piece I realized that the Brew Boss was quite reasonable considering how much time I would have to spend building and developing my own system.

Got my dual 110v WiFi Brew Boss system about a month ago, had enough time to do a water only wet run to test my installation of the heating coils etc. but then had to run off to GA to do some diving (hey, it was work). When I got back I was excited to fire the system up and brew one of my main beers on it to get a better idea of efficiencies. Unfortunately when I fired it up the Android tablet couldn't find the Brew Boss wifi network. A couple quick emails to Dan and we realized the wifi controller must have been faulty. He got a new module out to me ASAP and an hour after it arrived, I had it soldered in and I was back up and running. (Great service!)

The next morning my son and I knocked out 5 gallons of a Citra SMaSH to be the test recipe. We will have to make some minor adjustments to our process, but the brew day overall went beautifully! The Brew Boss kept the mash temp dead on target and our mash efficiency was >80% and total efficiency for this brew was just under 80%. Not that efficiency is everything, but I'll be happy to see if I hit those numbers on the next brew.

I did BiAB before on the stove, but didn't use a pump. One process I quickly found I have to change is how I am using hop bags. The FWHops were bagged and when I put the basket back in with the chiller, the bag blocked the valve intake. Ooops. Time for a hop spider maybe.

Once I took care of that the rest of the brew was brilliant. I was able to do a long whirlpool, maintaining the temp at 190 for the first 2/3 of it and then letting it slowly drop before I began full on chilling actively again. Never could get a good consistent whirlpool going on the stove. For me as a scientist this is a major breakthrough, finally I can get real repeatability so I can work on tweaking recipies and process changes one item at a time.

I am relly happy with the system, and while it was an outlay, the time I would have spent building this I can now spend brewing beers, building a fermentation chamber - or relaxing and drinking a cold homebrew! Got 2 brew days on for this week, a Berliner Weiss with my son and a DIPA with a friend I'm introducing to brewing. Really want to nail those 2 recipies down as well since SWMBO likes the BW and the new landlord is a serious hop head.

Unfortunately, I probably wont get to brew with it for at least a few weeks as I'm still building my system. I need an Android tablet, spa panel and I'm awaiting the release of the Blichmann Boil Coil. I hope to have a tablet soon, so I can at least mess around with the app.

Hopefully others will get this system, brew with it sooner than I'm going to and contribute to this thread on it.

Ingchr

How goes the build on your system ?

Just received my 15 gal Brewboss system last week. Installing a spa panel 50A gfci and 15A gfci tomorrow for a wet run. Been brewing for 20 years and can't wait to try this exciting upgrade and to share recipes on this forum, to which I am new. Some of my recipes were culled from the original cats meow database, others are bastardized Papazians, and others are fabricated from scratch. I look forward to sharing and learning with this new brewing tool and selling off my keggles and converted coolers!

Inching forward, got the spa panel installed and the kettle built and leak tested. Next will be the wet run, but with my schedule that's going to be a week or two. I plan on brewing on the back patio (in nice weather) or in my kitchen. I built a 25' extension cord that will reach both from the spa panel in the laundry room.

Spa Panel.jpg

Kettle.jpg

Kettle Inside.jpg

Kettle Connections.jpg

Boil Coil Plug.jpg

how was the installation process ?
How long did it take ?

Will your drain dip tube fit between the coils ?
( I had 'heard' the coil needed to be near the front of a BM kettle so the dip tube could fit between the coils )

Pretty straight forward ? ( any idiot like me could do ? )

Looks great !!!:mug:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405528618.595816.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405528686.739977.jpg

My gfci installs. Both protected. I made a 240v 30 amp extension cord for itImageUploadedByHome Brew1405528787.000451.jpg

Whole thing fits on this stand from SAMs club!

Back