Fizzy yellow beer ingredients compared to real beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chione

Reaction score
So fizzy yellow beer (FYB) is for wussies and I only drink the stuff when I am playing guns but that is another story. I have really curious to see what is in this stuff. Obviously there is less malt and hops but how much less? Does anyone have a FYB recipe for reference?

Yes I know the BMC is the preferred term for FYB here but I agree with Stone and FYB is a more inclusive term so :p

"FYB" has less malt and more adjuncts like corn and rice in them to raise the alcohol without "increasing" the taste. They also use MUCH less hops. They don't want to cause "Bitter Beer Face"

I've been toying with all malt versions of the style a bit for people in my life that currently drink bud and coorslight. I know a lot people frown upon even coming close with all the RIS and IIPAs and whatnot but it's a fun excercise. Making a clean flawless light beer is not easy. I just did a 4.5% ABV lager and blonde ale today. I may even try to make the lager a "light" by mixing 1 gallon of beer with one gallon of de-oxygenated water in my mini keg just for the hell of it.

I'm not to the point where I'd consider flaked maize or rice syrup though.

RichBrewer said:
"FYB" has less malt and more adjuncts like corn and rice in them to raise the alcohol without "increasing" the taste. They also use MUCH less hops. They don't want to cause "Bitter Beer Face"

Wow really! I was wondering how they the alcohol, I was guessing they add sugar but then the beer would be too sweet.

Have any good recipes?

chione said:
Wow really! I was wondering how they the alcohol, I was guessing they add sugar but then the beer would be too sweet.

Have any good recipes?

Actually, if you add sugar, the beer would be LESS sweet. Sugar ferments out, leaving a thin body and dry beer. Rice and corn give fermentables without causing off-flavors, so they work well.

I don't know how you could do it with extract- you'd have to use corn for example, which is for all-grain. I did an all-grain version, with a bit more flavor than Miller. It's under my avatar in the recipes pull-down.

YooperBrew said:
Actually, if you add sugar, the beer would be LESS sweet. Sugar ferments out, leaving a thin body and dry beer. Rice and corn give fermentables without causing off-flavors, so they work well.

I don't know how you could do it with extract- you'd have to use corn for example, which is for all-grain. I did an all-grain version, with a bit more flavor than Miller. It's under my avatar in the recipes pull-down.

hmm didn't see miller clone listed

chione said:
hmm didn't see miller clone listed

"Corn Cream Ale" or something like that! A "cream ale" is about as light as I want to go- it's still an ale though, but if it was cold conditioned it would come out more lager-like. Or you could use a lager yeast.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html

I have tried 2 recipes. I am looking for a House recipe BMC fans can stand and other homebrewers can appreciate.

I bottled Papzians "Quarterbock" about a week ago, no bottle bombs yet. It was _very_ tasty before I cut it 3:1 with water. I'll post up in about a month after it is conditioned.

My first AG was 80% pale 2 rown with 10% rice and 10% oats. The oats were a nice touch I thought, but 10% was too high, it was pretty astringent coming out of the bottle.

I am about to ship a bunch of EdWort's haus Pale recipe to the aforementioned BMC fans, I should have feedback from them around New Year's.

Fun slot in the tap handle collection to be toying with.

"It was _very_ tasty before I cut it 3:1 with water."

That sir, is alcohol abuse.

z987k said:
"It was _very_ tasty before I cut it 3:1 with water."

That sir, is alcohol abuse.

No.. just think about it! In just one brew session, he can get BMC drinkers to STFU for 20 gallons' worth of drinking, leaving him more time and more brew sessions to dedicate to making good stuff for people who don't drool on themselves and wet their beds.

brew a kolsch. its a very un-offensive style, probably the only "real" beer I've made so far that's close enough to a BMC that the average person wouldn't ***** about it.

Hell, my dad, Mr. Bud Light, won't even touch a commercial wheat beer "cuz its too heavy".

Sir Humpsalot said:
No.. just think about it! In just one brew session, he can get BMC drinkers to STFU for 20 gallons' worth of drinking, leaving him more time and more brew sessions to dedicate to making good stuff for people who don't drool on themselves and wet their beds.

It is third edition, companion, page 325. The one gallon was tasty enough I probably will make five gallons next time it comes around on the rolodex. I'll bottle four gallons for long term aging for "us people" and then keg one gallon with 3 of water for "those people" - probably.

I am sending out holiday samplers to several of my BMC friends. They got three versions of EdWorts Haus coming with varying degrees of hops, and the quarterbock, and I will listen very carefully to what they have to say. I know I can't please everybody. OTOH when it has been 90+°F for twenty five days running in North Carolina summertime, I am not looking for a stout.

If the BMC peeps don't like it I'll bottle a whole five gallons someday and shelve it with my 080808RIS

As a reference, Michelob Ultra checks in at 3.5 IBU. That decimal point is not an accident.

For my BMC drinking friends I brew 2 beers that are pretty much the same its just one is extract and one is AG. they are basically just 10 lb base malt or 6 lb light LME and very light on the hops. I use ale yeast also for simplicity. Sounds so simple, but let me tell you it is hard to find someone that doesn't like this brew. The BMC people like it and people that drink "real beer" like it enough to drink it. I don't look for either one of these brews to win any competitions or anything, but if you're looking for something to suit everyone it is the way to go.

Bah Humbug said:
I've posted a few times on how to brew a BMC.

Do you want it again?

I am just looking the delta between real beer and YFB so just post that

cheezydemon said:
BYO had a bud clone in their recipe list. It had honey in it.
good lead
Budweiser Clone
by Karl Glarner Jr.

This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering
required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5
gallons)

Ingredients:

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min.,
0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

come paired to Jared's ESB (randomly selected )

Default Traditional ESB
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP 002 English Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 42
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 65 Deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 65 Deg

6lbs Extra Light DME
14oz Crystal 55L

(steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160deg water for 20 minutes)

0.75 oz. Wye Target 13.90AA for 60 min.
0.50 oz. WGV 4.50AA for 40 min.
0.50 oz. WGV 4.50AA for 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. 5.00AA for 15 min.

Very traditional ESB. Color turned out perfectly and the hop profile is spot on for the style. I will probably up the crystal malt in the future to add a little more character but other than that it is perfect.

I think the threshold is Light American Lagers are YFB and everything else is "real beer". If we want to get down to ingredients, I tend to think of real beer as anything with more than 90% malted barley, wheat or rye as its fermentables, preferably 100%. The BMCs of the world rely heavily on rice and it's a turn off.

I don't know. I'm trying not to be such a beer snob because it's such a stereotypical attribute of homebrewers. If I pour Budweiser into a glass and let it warm up just a bit, I enjoy it every bit as much as an ESB or IPA depending on my mood. I have brewed quite a few base-grain only beers with low IBU that I'd consider all-malt, BMC alternatives. Most people like them, even beer snobs.

Bobby_M said:
I think the threshold is Light American Lagers are YFB and everything else is "real beer". If we want to get down to ingredients, I tend to think of real beer as anything with more than 90% malted barley, wheat or rye as its fermentables, preferably 100%. The BMCs of the world rely heavily on rice and it's a turn off.

I don't know. I'm trying not to be such a beer snob because it's such a stereotypical attribute of homebrewers. If I pour Budweiser into a glass and let it warm up just a bit, I enjoy it every bit as much as an ESB or IPA depending on my mood. I have brewed quite a few base-grain only beers with low IBU that I'd consider all-malt, BMC alternatives. Most people like them, even beer snobs.

I love PBR at times. In fact I have R/V PBR for drinking while surfing...

Bah Humbug said:
I've posted a few times on how to brew a BMC.

Do you want it again?

I reviewed thread titles on all 287 hits on "Bah Humbug" in the recipe section. I got nothing, unless you mean the joke about 2# extra light *ME plus a pinch of hops in 5 gallons water.

I followed the link to orfyblog.com today and didn't see a FYB recipe there either.

I suspect our collective leg is being pulled, yes?

Nah, he did make a number of posts recently, quite involved ones too. Can't remember the thread, tho, sorry!

I tried the same experiment recently - my first lager. SWMBO is a BMC drinker although I'm slowly converting her to the dark side.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: HopHed FPW
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Light/Standard/Premium Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 2.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 12.50 %
1 Pkgs American Lager (White Labs #WLP840) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.75 qt of water at 170.1 F 148.0 F

I hit my target gravity dead on at 1.043, but Saflager has yet to kick in. It's been 48 hours and it's my first lager so I'm not overly concerned yet, but I certainly expected to see some activity by now.

Wow thats A LOT of adjuncts!

2lb Corn
1lb Rice
1lb Sugar

and only 4lb 2row....talk about lite!

Hope it comes out good!! :mug:

Excellent Alamo, thank you for the link.

I cracked on of my Papzain recipe "Quarterbocks" today to check for bottle bombs. I bottled these two weeks ago. Today I randomly selected one and chilled it.

The head is good, the bubbles are fine, my glass is laced, I'll give them a couple more weeks, but I am not drinking this. Blech!

I saw it too - it was down at the bottom of another thread I was interested in, so naturally since I like to drink fizzy yellow beer I had to read it, and well it just wasn't complete without a mention of piss so there you go

Back