08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in. Racked to secondary today, and even though I had a few mishaps on brew day it seems to have turned out.

chriso said:
...I hope everyone is OK with this minor alteration. As I mentioned, I am making this change in order to operate as similarly to other HBT swaps as possible. Please PM me if you have any questions.
Sounds good.

My keg (secondary) is resting comfortably in the dark corner of my 45 degree garage. It tasted remarkably better than several weeks ago, but certainly needs a few months under its belt.

Gotcha added, Flowerysong.

1/2 of mine is already bottled, I think I'm gonna do the other 1/2 tonight while watching Project Runway.

I'm using 12oz bottles since I have more of them around (tie up for aging), so each of my recipients will get 2x 12oz RIS and 2x 12 oz Raspberry RIS. I tried a sample of the Razz the other day and it's DEFINITELY potent. Don't know how much of an ABV boost the raspberry added, but it's tangy... should be good aged! :)

I just read this again since it was bumped per se, but I gotta ask why we're sending 4 bottles of the same beer? The reason we send 48 oz during the beerswaps is because people send many different beers. This is going to be the same beer.

Not to be a ******, but what if you get a really suck-fest laden RIS? Then you're sitting on 3 that you don't want to drink.

I say we knock it down, which will also help in the shipping costs.

I don't think this will go over well, but I'm just throwing it out there.

PseudoChef said:
I just read this again since it was bumped per se, but I gotta ask why we're sending 4 bottles of the same beer? The reason we send 48 oz during the beerswaps is because people send many different beers. This is going to be the same beer.

Not to be a ******, but what if you get a really suck-fest laden RIS? Then you're sitting on 3 that you don't want to drink.

I say we knock it down, which will also help in the shipping costs.

I don't think this will go over well, but I'm just throwing it out there.
Good point but I for one would like to sample this beer on at least 2 different occasions. And I intend to add a sample of my previous RIS and perhaps something else to my package to give the recipients something to drink before 08-08-08, and hopefully get some feed back also.

Craig

Don't apologize for raising the question, PseudoChef, that's exactly why I worded that post as I did. I wanted to make sure that people knew that I was making that change for a fairly one-sided reason - consistency - and that we should discuss it further. So, in short, thanks for chiming in!

I think you have a very valid concern there. I am hesitant to drop it to 3x 12oz bottles, only because then there's a big incentive to ship 36 oz instead of 44 oz (2 bombers). I like where CBB is going. Maybe include at least 3 bottles of RIS and then a "bonus" bottle of the sender's choice? Other ideas?

I recognize your concern on the shipping cost, and share that concern, but am trying to keep this from being too biased towards either the bombers or the 12oz's. Maybe when I get home tonight I will do a couple trial runs with packing 12's and 22's in boxes and getting weights.

Another alternative would be to drop all the way down to 1x 22oz or 2x 12oz.... I am reluctant to drop that far, for a couple reasons. As CBB said, I want to do a little tasting over time. It's also nice to be able to verify that you didn't just get "a bad bottle". Secondly, it introduces single point of failure if someone chooses to ship a 22. If that one bottle breaks, the sender has to completely repackage and reship, whereas if there are 2 bottles, there's still a chance the other made it.

I will keep brainstorming.

PseudoChef said:
Not to be a ******, but what if you get a really suck-fest laden RIS?

Pour the rest out. It's not like the brewer's holding a gun to your head and saying "Drink!".

What if (purely hypothetically) all of the brewer's beers are suck-fests? How is having multiple kinds of horrible beer better than having just one? At least if all of the bottles are the same beer, you can confidently pour out the ones you haven't tasted.

That being said, I'd be okay with the requirements being "A minimum of 44oz of beer, two bottles of which must be the 888 RIS." Those sending 12oz bottles could then choose to swap out one or two for a different beer at their discretion, and the receivers would still be guaranteed the option to save at least one bottle of the RIS for tasting at a later date.

flowerysong said:
That being said, I'd be okay with the requirements being "A minimum of 44oz of beer, two bottles of which must be the 888 RIS." Those sending 12oz bottles could then choose to swap out one or two for a different beer at their discretion, and the receivers would still be guaranteed the option to save at least one bottle of the RIS for tasting at a later date.

I like that. You worded that very concisely. If you're doing 22's, you still satisfy the "two bottles of which must be" clause. If you're doing 12's, you can put 2 RISes in, and then another IS from your personal collection, a haus, a sour, whatever. In my case, 2 RIS and 2 Rasp RIS. Or, maybe I decide the Rasp RIS isn't that good, then I just include 1 of them, and 1 different beer. Maybe an experimental beer that I was happy with the results. Or maybe a different "x-factor" beer for each of my 3 recipients. That could be fun.

Votes?

chriso said:
I like that. You worded that very concisely. If you're doing 22's, you still satisfy the "two bottles of which must be" clause. If you're doing 12's, you can put 2 RISes in, and then another IS from your personal collection, a haus, a sour, whatever. In my case, 2 RIS and 2 Rasp RIS. Or, maybe I decide the Rasp RIS isn't that good, then I just include 1 of them, and 1 different beer. Maybe an experimental beer that I was happy with the results. Or maybe a different "x-factor" beer for each of my 3 recipients. That could be fun.

Votes?

That pleases me greatly. My IIPA will be at the peak then, too. I can totally live with that.

Sweet.

The more I think about it, the happier I am with this. Because now, instead of JUST receiving RISes in exchange for RISes, there's a personalization factor, a surprise factor involved.

I can't wait. You guys have no clue how freaking excited I am. I already have score sheets printed. I'm drooling. This is awesome. :D

Update: I've tentatively updated the text based on this discussion. See below, also updated in main post.
Beer and Shipping Info
I propose that each swapper send (2-22oz 'bombers') or (4-12oz bottles), at least two bottles of which should be your 08-08-08 RIS. If you choose 22's, you've satisfied the requirement. If you use 12's, then you have two more bottles to include, which can be any homebrew of your discretion, including more RIS. (Updated 1/23 for clarity/ambiguity)

Sounds good.

I'll plan on a minimum of 2 RIS bombers and a couple 12 Oz "treats", depending on what I have in stock.

I scoured the thread but can't find it....how many people are we swapping with?

BierMuncher said:
I scoured the thread but can't find it....how many people are we swapping with?
Total? 42. Each? 3.

All dates and #'s should be in the main post, let me know if you see one missing. Link's in my sig. In short, though, "I'm in" due by 3/1, then you get your shipping list by 4/1, then you ship by 5/1.

I love that quote, by the way, PTN. Gotta love Mel Brooks.

I gotta slow down today, too many new posts! What's a 1K post worth if you blow right past it? Nuthin', that's what. Timing, young grasshoppa.

I'm in. I bottled in 22's so that's what I'll be sending. Do we have dates for when the names are going in the hat and the beer is getting shipped?

I know it needs to get there before August (duh) but are we keeping it home till spring and the danger of freezing during shipping is minimized or sending them off soon?

Paul

paulthenurse said:
I'm in. I bottled in 22's so that's what I'll be sending. Do we have dates for when the names are going in the hat and the beer is getting shipped?

I know it needs to get there before August (duh) but are we keeping it home till spring and the danger of freezing during shipping is minimized or sending them off soon?

Paul
Final list gets scrubbed in April (confirming who's brewed and still in).

I'd assume May-June (ish) is ship time.

Hmm, shipping by 5/1, looks like someone is going to get a bonus Belgian with my package since I plan on doing the Belgian swap in May anyhow. That's going to be a good beer month! :D

I like the revised rules.
I'll ship 2 08-08-08s and my older RIS that I find to be really good. The last bottle I'll have to see what I have at that time that I think is worth feedback.
I'm even more excited about this swap now than I was before.
Craig

chriso Just to let you know, I will not be in the swap for this. I know im on the original list, so just an FYI. Never got around to brewing this one.

CBBaron said:
I like the revised rules. The last bottle I'll have to see what I have at that time that I think is worth feedback. I'm even more excited about this swap now than I was before.

I know, me too! :D I don't know why it took so long for someone to come up with that idea, but I'm glad we were collectively able to brainstorm that change! Can't wait to try all'yr brews!!!

Ryanh, got you removed, thanks for the update.

Mine's about 3 weeks now in the secondary (keg) sitting in the 45 degree garage.

I think I'll leave it there through March and then force carb and bottle (half 22 Oz and half 12 Oz). I'm more confident in the BMBF for retained carbonation than priming a long-aged, big beer like that.

Of course, I'l need to crack one open and test before shipping date arrives. :D

BierMuncher said:
Mine's about 3 weeks now in the secondary (keg) sitting in the 45 degree garage.
I think I'll leave it there through March and then force carb and bottle (half 22 Oz and half 12 Oz). I'm more confident in the BMBF for retained carbonation than priming a long-aged, big beer like that.
Of course, I'l need to crack one open and test before shipping date arrives. :D

Is it ok to force carbonate, bottle, then age? How much carbonation for this beer?

Thanks
KD

korndog said:
Is it ok to force carbonate, bottle, then age? How much carbonation for this beer?

Yo. Most of what I've seen says 1.4-2.0 vols of CO2 are appropriate. I'm using priming sugar for mine, but I am targeting about 1.6 vols for my unflavored, and about 1.9 vols for my Raspberry flavored.

Is it too late for me to join this party? When the thread started I was.... occupied. I got my 888 in aging carboy at the moment.

EvilTOJ said:
Is it too late for me to join this party? When the thread started I was.... occupied. I got my 888 in aging carboy at the moment.

Yep, you're one of the first ones on the list. I can move you to the bottom, if you want to feel extra special? :D

REMINDER:

Registration for this swap, as well as removing yourself, needs to be done by this Friday, 2/28/08. Registration will be CLOSED after that date, as I need to wrangle all this data into the spreadsheet.

ALL SWAPPERS, please send me a PM with your name, address, city, state, and email address.

I have rcvd addresses from Brewsmith and Korndog.

I look forward to this, folks, it sounds like we have some damn good beers ready for each other! As the timeline says, I'll have lists out to you all by 4/1/08 - probably much sooner, but life has been busy lately, that's why I left some lee-way on my part too. Any ?'s, check the swap post, or PM me. Cheers!

(Another reminder, I don't know how many of you saw the minor change last month: "Each swapper send (2-22oz 'bombers') or (4-12oz bottles), at least two bottles of which should be your 08-08-08 RIS. If you choose 22's, you've satisfied the requirement. If you use 12's, then you have two more bottles to include, which can be any homebrew of your discretion, including more RIS. Of course, please tell your recipient what the other two bottles contain.")

Chriso

Signed up. FWIW I will be moving from 04-26 out to about 05-15-08. I am perfectly content to have my incoming brew arrive at the new place so I don't have to move it with the rest of my stuff. Or not. If it is a big hassle for you to ship stuff just ship mine the same day as everyone else's.

PM sent.

I brougth a bottle of the 888 to my LBS on Saturday. It got all positive reviews with the only 'negative' comment being that it didn't have the strong alcohol nose that the one taster thougth was required. I agree that I doesn't have that component right now, but it may come thru with more time. We'll see.

PTN

Received addresses from:
Professor Frink
Brewsmith
Landhoney
Chriso
BierMuncher
PseudoChef
ScubaSteve
Poindexter
Paulthenurse
Flowerysong
Korndog
Trencher

I will be PMing the rest of you soon.

PM sent.
I had forgotten all about this swap. I bottled mine last week, all 12oz.ers so I'll be including something else as well.

I will try to edit the SWAP list later tonite, but I have a number of changes to make, and want to make sure I don't f* them up. So, temporarily, here is the updated list (as of right now, 5:30p CST on Sat 3/1) of participants:

Brewpastor
Evan!
Sause
Evets
Talleymonster
Professor Frink
DeathBrewer
Brewsmith
Landhoney
Yuri_Rage
olllllo
Pirate Ale
Shunoshi
Mutine Bullfrog
McKBrew
Rhoobarb
LouT
Chriso
Warped04
BierMuncher
CBBaron
PseudoChef
98EXL
ScubaSteve
Poindexter
Jacobyhale
Paulthenurse
Drunkensatyr
bluechip101
TerapinChef
Flowerysong
Korndog
Trencher
EvilTOJ (???)

Total: 34

A few people didn't get around to brewing this (which I can sure understand, my brewhouse is backlogged as a mofo!), so that's why our numbers took a small dip - but 30+ is still fantastic! That's over 150 gallons of beer, and that's assuming everyone brewed a 5 gallon batch. Brewpastor brewed enough for 4 of us. ;)

If anyone is as much of a stat nerd as I am, I can also say that 17 of the 34 people have already PMed me an address. We will have a bare minimum of 20 different batches of RIS to compare from, but glancing at the list, I think we'll have closer to 30 batches.

So the next question is....... we all want to save a couple bottles and have a RIS tasting meet sometime, right? We can all fly to BierMuncher's place, and stay at EdWort's hotel! We'll have to buy a newspaper, I guess. ;)

Anyways. Have a good Saturday evening, get druck, and I'll check in later tonight.

Your faithful coordinator (We have a word for that..... I think it's "grunt"?),
-Chriso

chriso said:
So the next question is....... we all want to save a couple bottles and have a RIS tasting meet sometime, right? We can all fly to BierMuncher's place, and stay at EdWort's hotel! We'll have to buy a newspaper, I guess. ;)

I'll have to practice my one finger salute, Biermuncher style. Looking forward to trying some people's brews, I'll be bottling mine tomorrow.

paulthenurse said:
the only 'negative' comment being that it didn't have the strong alcohol nose that the one taster thought was required
From the BJCP website, RIS may have a bit of an alcohol character in the nose, but it's not required, and it shouldn't be sharp. I always love when a high ABV beer hides its alcohol content rather than slaps you in the face with it. I'm guessing you have a very fine RIS on your hands!

Damn Chriso..

Kudos to coordinating.

There's gonna be some serious Russian Imperial Stouts flying through the air (or driving in a truck) come this May/June.

Quick update on my way out the door, I have not yet received addresses from the following:

Brewpastor
Sause
Talleymonster
Pirate Ale
xShunoshi
McKBrew
LouT
xWarped04
xTerapinChef

I haven't really responded back to PMs from the past 2 days, but I HAVE entered them into the spreadsheet, I promise. I'll update the older list posts tonight after work.

Just quick reminder, I will computate and send out lists pretty soon, as soon as we have all the addresses. Then you will have until around 4/31/08 to mail your packages. (We may have 1 exception to 4/31 due to moving)

Chris

Edit: x denotes received today. long day, more info later. kill me pls.

Chriso,
If I could offer some unsolicited advice...

How about you just PM the three who haven't stepped up yet to save yourself from waiting? The sooner you get all the names the easier if will be for you to work the swaps out on a time schedule that fits into YOUR life. I've organized these things before and it always seemed to me that when I had time I didn't have all the names, and when I had all the names I didn't have the time.

PTN

Back