Burnt ancient orange mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woggers

Reaction score
I just popped a couple of bottles of MY version of JAOM + stark raven mead+ burnt bouchet. It is a keeper.

Wont bore with details about the honey boil, read Stark Ravens account. It is super in depth. Used clover honey and burnt to basically black. Added water cooled and pitched ingredients ( well, sort of) according to JAOM. I made a few adjustments though. I zest ed the orange after a thorough but gentle hand cleansing. The pith is quite bitter when used in cooking so i figured it would be the same here. Then i also used Safale 05, an ale yeast along with nutrient and energizer.

Took forever to ferment but it was worth the wait. Once it finished fermenting it dropped clear very quickly.

I bottled and about 4 months later, WOW!! Awesome. Just sharing one of my successes.

Happy brewing

I just made 2 gallons of MBM a few hours ago...after noticing this thread i added about a walnut size brew bag of sweet orange zest to one of the gallon jugs. What a great idea! I went with EC-1118 . OG at 1.09 at 100 deg...looking at like 12.5% @ 1.00

Here's my 2 gallon recipe with pics...i split this in 2 separate 1 gallon containers

8lbs honey....boiled for 1 hour 15 min
Cooled in container with about 3/4 of a gallon water.
Let sit and hour until its under 100 degrees and pitched
appropriate amounts of energizer and nutrients per container
Add 1 tsp per container EC-1118
Shaker the hell out of it for 5 min
Install airlok.......activity with-in 15 min for me

Rack when target gravity is reached.

Bulk age for 6 months
Add finings and bottle a week or so later

more or less.....

Back