Smoker Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenRuss

Reaction score
Hey group, I know this has likely been asked a zillion times, but here goes...
I smoked my first ever eye of round on the weekend on my gas grill. I figured if I was going to wreck anything, a $9.00 piece of meat would be the way to go.
Good news, it turned out AWESOME, better news, I am hooked. Bad news is my wife just bought me a new Gas Grill a few years ago and so asking her or myself to spend money on a BGE or horizontal smoker, might not go over big. My problem with the gas grill was that it was rediculously hard to regulate the heat and the chips could only be accessed and changed from the top which lost all my heat.
Can you tell me what the pro's and con's of an inexpensive vertical smoker would be. (not ultra $40.oo cheap, maybe a Bradley $80.00 one) would be and what mods you would make to it to get started SMOKIN!?!?!?

I have a Weber smoker that works well for me - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I8ZTJ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

I had a cheap one before the Weber and wore it out in about 5 years. The Weber is easy to use and does a great job on most everything I've put into it. It smokes a little hotter than I'd like for some things, but it does a great job on 95% + of what I want it to do. I smoked my first couple of pounds of grain last week, and it produced what tastes to be a really nice smoked malt. I can't wait to brew with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Primo,American version of BGE, and love it. If I was lookingfor a less expensive way to smoke I would look at an UDS or try and score an BGE on Craigslist. Big reason is the ability to smoke n cold temps.

One thing you could look at doing is adding a smoke generator such as the smoke pistol to your grill.

You'll still have the problems with heat regulation, but since the smoke generator is external, you don't have to open the lid to re-supply.

http://www.smokepistol.com/

If you are handy at all, you can make your own. The upside to going this route is the possibilities are endless. I have seen Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS) to wood fired pizza oven/smoker combos, all the way to full blown smoke houses. Anything that has a chamber that will retain heat has potential to be turned into a smoker. The only caveat is you have to be careful of the actual materials used, especially in a hot smoker, as chemicals can leach into your food.

Personally, I have a 40 in Masterbuilt digital smoker. The nice thing about this smoker is the fact that it is digital, making for easy temperature control. I did try out a Masterbuilt electric smoker which had no real temperature control, and I didn't like it. It was difficult to maintain a temperature with it. It also was single-layer, meaning it wouldn't work well in the cold winter months. The temperature control aspect could be easily resolved with a temp controller though.

I also have a chimney-style cold smoker attachment for it, meaning I can use the cold smoker attachment to provide smoke and just leave the heat on the main smoker off, or very low. Cold smoking is incredibly hard to do otherwise, as many consumer smokers use the same heat source to heat the cook chamber as well as provide the smoke. I make ABTs, turkey, sausage, and jerky with my smoker for the most part. I wouldn't mind trying something like brisket, ribs, or even bacon though.

Personally, I like my propane Masterforge I converted to NG. In fact, Lowes has 'em on sale right now for $148.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_156452-95393-MFW784BDP_4294703217__?productId=3603268&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

With gas, you just set it and forget it. It's a vertical cabinet style with 2 doors, so I never have to open the cooking chamber to add chips/chunks. Plenty of room in cook chamber, compared to a kettle smoker too.

There are charcoal only kettle smokers that are cheaper, but they're a pain to regulate temps (especially on long smokes) without some modification. I'd go gas if you can. Just my thoughts.

This is a cool thread. I would like to start smoking this spring and have been eying up pellet smokers. Interested to see what else comes up.

I have a Bradley original smoker. It's pretty idiot proof and I've made some great food in it.

I looked at one of those and was quite honestly ready to get one when I found the masterbuilt smoker. Nearly the same thing as far as construction goes (same size, insulated, etc) but it uses regular wood chips instead of the Bradley biscuits.

Downside is that you have to add the chips yourself, there isn't an automated smoke generator.

I looked at one of those and was quite honestly ready to get one when I found the masterbuilt smoker. Nearly the same thing as far as construction goes (same size, insulated, etc) but it uses regular wood chips instead of the Bradley biscuits.

Downside is that you have to add the chips yourself, there isn't an automated smoke generator.

Heh, I bought the Bradley for that reason.

I had one of the Brinkman R2D2 units for years until it rusted out and changing the wood chips drove me bats. I like the pucks, but there is a cost to it.

Scope out Craigslist. If your patient you can score big. I bought a weber smoker for $50 that was around ten years old and used maybe twice. The food grates were rusted and I bought a new one for around $15.

I built an Ugly Drum Smoker and I love it. It will hold a perfect 250 for 11 hours on one small basket of charcoal. In February I bought a cheap brinkman vertical smoker that uses 4x the amount of charcoal. Ill mainly be using the brinkman for fish and pepperoni and what not. But turkeys and brisket and ribs and everything else all go on my ugly drum. I built it for maybe $60. If you're in Facebook do a fb search for "Ugly Drum Smokers" and you'll find a plethora of people eager and willing to help you with the build

I built an Ugly Drum Smoker and I love it. It will hold a perfect 250 for 11 hours on one small basket of charcoal. In February I bought a cheap brinkman vertical smoker that uses 4x the amount of charcoal. Ill mainly be using the brinkman for fish and pepperoni and what not. But turkeys and brisket and ribs and everything else all go on my ugly drum. I built it for maybe $60. If you're in Facebook do a fb search for "Ugly Drum Smokers" and you'll find a plethora of people eager and willing to help you with the build

+1 on the UDS. The Ugly Drum Smoker is by far the best smoker you can put together or purchase for under $300. It cost me $75 to build mine including the cost of a cheap 22 inch knock off kettle to use the lid and grates from. Fill my fire basket with lump charcoal and it will run forever at whatever temp I adjust my intakes to allow for. You will find all of the info and examples you will need to build one right here http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=f04e5b2b3c792120febe48731bb77326 The forum is also the best BBQ forum on the net :)

I was down this road somewhat about 5 years ago. I first dropped cash on a brinkman vertical, then after being dissatisfied (but definitley hooked on smoking/barbeque) bought a chargriller with a smoke box. Needless to say I didnt like the performance of this one either for MANY reasons. Finally, after saving up for a while i dropped the cash for a BGE and it IS THE best investment ever and my only regret is wasting the money on anything else before. I understand the positionthat you are in, but a BGE (or any comparable kamado) is really that good for smoking/grilling/baking. It also isnt too much of an exageration to say you could possibly recoup the investment in 5-10 years due to the efficiency alone (that would be my storyanyway). Not kidding, donate the gas grill to a family member or sell, and get a BGE, you will not regret it! BTW, my chargriller has made a great outside storage vessel for all my grill gear and apple wood.

I started with a Brinkman Smoke'n Pit. It served me well for 10 years, especially after doing the mods to it to make it perform better. It taught me how to use my pit, what to look for, what temps and precipitation will do to it. Above all else, it taught me the value of sleep on big cooks (and the lack you get with a small, thin walled, offset). Then, with the help of my father, we built my current smoker. But that is most certainly out of your price range. That said, being able to load it up and let it run for 6-8 hrs before needing to refuel (in the winter, or rain, etc) is pretty damn nice.

Thanks everyone, this thread is becoming more and more informative with every post. I wasn't going to spend the money on a more elaborate smoker but after hearing the advice given here, I think I may have decided to go with something more heavy gauge. Please keep the info coming!

Then i would definitely look for some kind of insulated setup. If you go with the cheaper guys out there, you won't be able to use this at all in temps below 45 deg F. I mean, you can, but you'll be dumping a ton of fuel into it just to keep temp. I grew up in Rochester (rest of the fam is still there actually). You won't be able to use it (depending on where in Ontario, its a damn big province) until very late in the spring. That would SUCK!!! The insulated guys, be it a Big Green Egg, a Stumps, or stumps clone, they will eat a bit more fuel to get to temp in the colder clims, but once there will hold it like a champ. I had my smoker going in a snow storm during a group brew day (freak snow storm). It was sure nice chowing down on some ribs and chicken once everyone was done freezing their arse off brewing in February! I lose maybe an hour per coal chute in the colder months, or rain. Rain will rob the thinner gauge smokers of 10-20 deg quickly. When trying to hold 230* on a pork butt for 14 hrs, that makes a HUGE difference. And sometimes on those thinner gauge guys, it takes close to 45 min -1 hr to recoup your temp. Again, I learned that on my Smoke 'n Pit.

Scope out Craigslist. If your patient you can score big. I bought a weber smoker for $50 that was around ten years old and used maybe twice. The food grates were rusted and I bought a new one for around $15.

Good advice. Before making a specific recommendation, I'd need more info on your desires & grilling skill/confidence levels. You've got a lot of choices just in fuel -- each with advantages & disadvantages: coal, wood, gas (LP or NG), or electric. Do you want a set-it-and-forget-it deal, or do you plan on tending the smoker closely?

I started in a Weber kettle, and still use it quite often -- and it works great. I also have a massive side fire box and an upright -- all of which are interchangeable with each fuel/heat source depending on my mood, time and application.

I'd be glad to guide you with just a little more info.

Ok, so the deal is that I am living in a new build home that we had plumbed for an external NG connection because I have a new NG gas grill. (Birthday present) I cook on it quite a bit but have always been a "jack it to 11" and sear steaks, dogs and burgers kind of griller. I tried to smoke a roast and the result, using my gas grill was so good, I started to wonder if I could do the same thing with Ribs, Butts, sausage, beans etc. I want to ADD a dedicated smoker to my arsenal but don't want to go to the $1000 BGE but would also like something that works well.
I brew beer, bake bread and bagels, restore vintage sewing machines and furniture and certainly don't mind looking after the smoker, but could be persuaded to set-it-and-forget-it. I live in Canada and the temperature ranges from -20c in Winter to +30c in the summer.

You know, I was thinking about this thread today while in Lowes for something else. They had a Chargriller kamodo cooker (think BGE) for $300. No idea how good it is.

You know, I was thinking about this thread today while in Lowes for something else. They had a Chargriller kamodo cooker (think BGE) for $300. No idea how good it is.

Picked one up @ Menards a few months ago for $250. Love it so far.

Ok, so the deal is that I am living in a new build home that we had plumbed for an external NG connection because I have a new NG gas grill. (Birthday present) I cook on it quite a bit but have always been a "jack it to 11" and sear steaks, dogs and burgers kind of griller. I tried to smoke a roast and the result, using my gas grill was so good, I started to wonder if I could do the same thing with Ribs, Butts, sausage, beans etc. I want to ADD a dedicated smoker to my arsenal but don't want to go to the $1000 BGE but would also like something that works well.
I brew beer, bake bread and bagels, restore vintage sewing machines and furniture and certainly don't mind looking after the smoker, but could be persuaded to set-it-and-forget-it. I live in Canada and the temperature ranges from -20c in Winter to +30c in the summer.

Like your other roast, a pork butt wouldnt be a problem indirect on your grill. Theyll take a beating. Ribs are a bit of problem tho even with the 3-2-1. Not to mention its difficult to the same smoke quality into the meat as you can with a smoker. They're just different.

Get you any LP smoker you want and drill the orifice. I've got a BTU/hr sizing chart for bit size if you want it. My burner was 15k and I drilled it for 30k (@ 7" wc...gives me headroom for winter smoking)

Yes, I was at Home Depot and they have ones shaped like kegs and I saw the Chargriller as well. I think because of the weight, they are about 600-700 CND. At least the one at Lowes was. It's fine, I am going to do another eye of round tomorrow for sandwiches at my daughters birthday and absolutely make it the best thing my wife ever tasted. I am then going to declare what a BBQ star I could be if I had a smoker to add to my gas grill and see if she bites! They have a nice smoker or two at Lowes, so I will see what happens. I have a nice coffee, cumin, Corriander, etc, etc dry rub for this one and I am really going to take my time. Keep my eyes on the price, so to speak.

I have read many good reviews of the chargriller kamado. It runs well at a broad range of temperatures just like a BGE allowing you to grill, bake, and smoke. It also has the ability to run for long periods of time unattended. I was looking at one the other day at Lowes and it appears to be pretty well built. If you don't want to build a UDS and stay in the $300-350 or less range it this is without a doubt an excellent unit to consider. If you pick one up get a pizza stone. I have drooled over pics of pizza that have come off of these several times.

Hey everyone, the roast is going well. Started at 8:00am and have been able to regulate the temp way Better with the new ceramic briquettes. Still not a lot of smoke but with the rib, low and slow and the time, this should be awesome. Currently at 130 internal on my way to 140, then rest to a temp my in-laws will eat. I will keep you posted.

Another smoking success. Still not generating a lot of smoke but did get a ring and the BBQ was easier to work with. Going to start working on the wife for a smoker.

image-3221671551.jpg

image-1865621942.jpg

I started in a Weber kettle, and still use it quite often -- and it works great.

+1 on the Weber Kettle. It's a great way to get started without breaking the bank. You can get used ones at garage sales or craigslist pretty cheap since they are a dime a dozen.

I put an aluminum pan in the middle, fill it with water a beer or some apple cider vinegar. Or even beans! Then create a semi circle of charcoal briquets around the around edge of the kettle. Two wide and two deep. You can either place chunks of wood or wood chips on top of the ring. Then, light 6-8 briquettes on one side of the ring and let her get up to temp. Think of it like lighting a fuse that slowly burns around the circle.

Keep the bottom vents closed, and top vent on the lid open.

Did this yesterday on a rack of ribs - it held steady between 225 - 250 with plenty of smoke for hours.

It's called the "modified minion" method.

Untitled-1.jpg

That's brilliant!! Thanks for the tip. I saw this the other day and think it might be the way to start! They have a Bradley version as well that I think might be a little heavier weight.

image-4283755507.jpg

Back