Brewers Best Fruit Flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbbeldums1

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to use these before. I wanted to make a blueberry stout, and I can't get any blueberry's till the summer. I was wondering if there fruit flavors actually taste close to the real deal?

Those are extracts, right? Personally I would use a fruit puree like this instead. More expensive but I think the extracts have a weird medicinal taste (admittedly never tried blueberry).

I think the Brewer's Best extracts are OK in SMALL quantities, but if you want to have an upfront fruit flavor, they start to taste really, really artificial.

Whenever I need to use extract flavoring, I go down to my local whole foods store and grab one of the fancy organic extracts. They are typically about the same price or cheaper than the "brewing" extract flavors, and much much higher quality and more natural taste.

I think the Brewer's Best extracts are OK in SMALL quantities, but if you want to have an upfront fruit flavor, they start to taste really, really artificial.

Whenever I need to use extract flavoring, I go down to my local whole foods store and grab one of the fancy organic extracts. They are typically about the same price or cheaper than the "brewing" extract flavors, and much much higher quality and more natural taste.

What concentrations do use use for a lightly flavored batch? Heavily flavored batch?

It varies manufacturer to manufacturer.

I keg, so it's easy for me to open up the finished beer and add extract to taste. If you bottle, I'd add the extract to the bottling bucket, gently swirl it to mix it in, and taste from there to see if you want to add more.

I start off with a capful and guestimate from there. Sometimes it can take as much as 2-3 oz to get even a subtle flavor, sometimes 1-2 capfuls will do the job.

Back