verdigris in counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltman

Reaction score
Ok, maybe this is a little paraniod, but I'm a little worried about verdigris formation inside my cf chiller? I fear I would have no way of knowing if it's present on the inside of the copper tubing which of course is where the wort comes in contact with the copper).
Anyone have any ides if this is safe or not? I couldn't find much else posted on this subject.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Hot wort will dissolve any oxidation inside the chiller providing nutrients to the yeast. :)

I think the OP is concerned about the green corrosion that forms on copper that's poisonous. A quick google confirms that salt and vinegar should remove it. Every few batches, mix up a solution and run it through just to make sure nothing is building up. If you have a pump, just recirculate for a while.

Correct. Its the green corrosion that forms on copper that I'm worried about. I'm worried about it dissolving in the wort while cooling. Suppose I'll have to clean it before each batch. Good suggestion.

You are worrying unnecessarily. Salt and vinegar will eat through your copper in no time.

Latest posts

Back