Wyeast 1028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Just got done preparing starters for the weekend. Brewing a Porter and an extra light Pale Ale. I used 1056 for the Pale and 1028 for the Porter. I smacked both packs at the same time. The 1056 was ballooning within an hour, and right where I need it within 3. The 1028 barely showed any growth. I figured it just took longer, but I had the stuff ready, so I pitched it. When I opened the smack pack, it smelled bad. That's all I can say to describe it. Like, just crappy. I just wondered if that was the yeast character or if it's because I just pitched dead yeast. I have no issue if I have to toss it, I'll just use the 1056 for everything, but if it's OK, I'm going to use it.

Anyone have any info about this? I couldn't find anything either way on the Wyeast website. Thanks all.

Cheers,

well, it could be just the character of the yeast (i've never used it), but normally i wouldn't pitch a pack that hasn't swelled.

as always, in the future you should make a starter and keep dry yeast on hand just in case ;)

all you can do now is wait and see. worse case scenario, you just introduced some bad yeast or bacteria to your brew due to a contaminated pack of yeast (don't worry, it's VERY unlikely).

another thing that might happen is the yeast doesn't work and you'll have to pitch some more yeast.

i'd wait a day or two before you do anything, she'll probably just start bubbling away!

So, I guess the real question is, A) whether or not that is a character of the yeast? and B) If I don't see any progress in the starter, should I pitch the 1056 starter that I made for my second batch tomorrow (split in half and go to town)?

Thanks for the input, DeathBrewer. I think I might call you the BeerReaper from now on. I dig the Avatar.

Cheers,

Wyeast 1056 and 1028 are the two liquid yeasts I use the most. Both are excellent.

I am sure I could never tell the difference in smell between two opened pouches of each. If the 1028 smelled bad, it probably was. Did it have a sulfury, rubbery smell? If so, it wasn't stored properly. Sorry.

FlyGuy said:
Wyeast 1056 and 1028 are the two liquid yeasts I use the most. Both are excellent.

I am sure I could never tell the difference in smell between two opened pouches of each. If the 1028 smelled bad, it probably was. Did it have a sulfury, rubbery smell? If so, it wasn't stored properly. Sorry.

I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't good. It smelled offensive, smokey and a bit acrid. No real "sulfur" smell, but I guess that could qualify.

At any rate, this morning the 1056 was showing signs of fermentation while there was nothing in the 1028, so I dumped it.

Now the question is, whether or not 1056 is a good yeast to use in a porter?

Cheers,

Back