homemade metal mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
so i plan to take the leap into all grain brewing sooner than later. and i haven't decided if i want to make a cooler mash tun or a metal mash tun. one reason i don't want to use a plastic mash tun is because of the possibility of the chemicals the plastic could release since no MFG will approve them to consume hot liquids in them... anyway...

anyone know of any videos or how-to's to make a metal mash tun? I see a ton of cooler made vids. I just hate to spend a small fortune on a metal one, if i can reasonably make one myself

one reason i don't want to use a plastic mash tun is because of the possibility of the chemicals the plastic could release since no MFG will approve them to consume hot liquids in them... anyway...

Where have you received this information?

If my plastic MLT, produces chemicals, then those chemicals produces some tasty, tasty beer.

IMO, go with the plastic cooler MLT.

cheers :mug:

if you're getting into it for the long term you should build something that will last. My plastic cooler mash tun(round, ten gallon) lasted for around 40 batches of all grain before succoming to warping and cracking. It now serves as a trash can in my garage. Was it worth the time and effor? sure, i got a lot of use out of it and it functioned will with little modification.

I just did a ghetto insulation of a keg mash tun - and after adding some extra insulation it now holds temps almost as well as the cooler - I think I lost two degrees over the course of todays mash. - and its in the low 40's in PA

plastic is easier to work with, but metal will last much longer.

If my plastic MLT, produces chemicals, then those chemicals produces some tasty, tasty beer.

IMO, go with the plastic cooler MLT.

cheers :mug:

yea, no one has confirmed for sure one way or the other.... but i also do want it to last a while

one reason i don't want to use a plastic mash tun is because of the possibility of the chemicals the plastic could release since no MFG will approve them to consume hot liquids in them

So all the thermoses I see for sale are just for cold stuff? Damn, and we've been putting coffee and tea in them this whole time.

so i plan to take the leap into all grain brewing sooner than later. and i haven't decided if i want to make a cooler mash tun or a metal mash tun. one reason i don't want to use a plastic mash tun is because of the possibility of the chemicals the plastic could release since no MFG will approve them to consume hot liquids in them... anyway...

anyone know of any videos or how-to's to make a metal mash tun? I see a ton of cooler made vids. I just hate to spend a small fortune on a metal one, if i can reasonably make one myself

Just use a boil pot of appropriate size with a false bottom or tube filter. Wrap it in anything for insulation - it will hold temp through your rests just fine, with the flexibility of being able to directly heat.
To be honest, I'm not so worried about the plastic, I just haven't heard of a single clear cut advantage to cooler mash tuns.

Just use a boil pot of appropriate size with a false bottom or tube filter. Wrap it in anything for insulation - it will hold temp through your rests just fine, with the flexibility of being able to directly heat.
To be honest, I'm not so worried about the plastic, I just haven't heard of a single clear cut advantage to cooler mash tuns.

so can a false bottom be easily made? or do you have to try to find one that fits the pot you have?

so can a false bottom be easily made? or do you have to try to find one that fits the pot you have?

One can be made in a couple of different ways, if you're handy. The place where I got my pot had one specifically for it. I'd talk to someone at your supplier, especially if you haven't got the pot yet. I did a number of batches with a bazooka filter (~$15) before that - you night lose a little efficiency, but not much.

I am also looking into a metal mash. I saw a couple examples of using a large enough kettle with a false bottom.

I definitely don't want anything to do with hot liquids in plastic. All plastic leach chemicals. especially if they are used with hot liquid.

Or you could get one of these, a copper water tank with 2 3kw elements, and 2.5" of spray foam insulation.
It work great lol

IMG_20140217_083005.jpg

Back