Smoked BBQ sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
1 pound of tomatoes
6 oz tomato paste
3 Tbsp Worshire sause
1/3 C honey
4 chopped smoked jalepeno halves
1.5 Tbsp chili powder
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Hot smoke the tomatoes for about an hour and smoke the jalepenos as desired. Discard the tomatoe skins, they will be peeling off anyways. Mix with all the other ingrediants together and boil until you get your desired thickness.

I made this once with a 1/2 cup of honey and thought it was too much, thus the 1/3 cup in this recipe, if you think honey BBQ sause is awesome bump it up to 1/2 cup. If you like a lot of heat the four jalepeno halves wont come close to being good enough. Im pretty proud of this because it was made with just the tomato paste and tomatoes and I added stuff as I saw appropriate.

Haha, I thought chipolte was actually a chili pepper. Had no clue.

When you say smoke the tomato's and peppers do you mean like indirect heat like one would smoke a brisket or ribs or are you just charring and softening them up over a flame? We have a place down here called Bud's Broiler and they do the burgers over a wood fire and have this awesome hickory smoke sauce that is off the hook. Now I want a #4 with smoke sauce.:)

I did them in a vertical smoker with a water pan inbetween the tomatoes and heat.

Smoked some pablanos and ugly tomatoes last night, then made this sauce. Very good! I put it on chicken. Only change I would make would be to increase the vinagar (I like mine tangy) and decrease the chili powder. Too much chili powder and it does start to get a chili flavor. Maybe replace with cayenne?

I'm going to be using it again tonight. Thanks!

2012-01-14_at_18_14_44.jpg

Back