Pig's Feet in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
Hello,

A friend of mine has an annual dinner in which all aspects must incorporate the pig and I have been challenged to brew a beer using pig's feet!

I can find very little info on effects of temperature and cooking time so here is the thought process I have so far just to get ideas started. I initially thought maybe I would just add them to the last 10 min of the boil for some flavor and to sanitize then rack off them into the fermentor. I am not thinking this would contribute very little flavor and the temperature might be too high and create some harsh flavors.

I am now thinking I have a sidepot simmering with the pig's feet for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours to slow cook them as they should be cooked for food preparation then move the contents of that side pot into the last 5-10 min of the boil. As to whether I will add the water and the pig's feet or just the simmering water (possibly a spice or two in it as well), I am still not sure. My inclination is everything.

Last thing - I also have no experience with cooking pig's feet. What kind of textures and flavors can I expect from this ingredient?

I will take all the help I can get!

If they are pickled you won't like it. Smoked will be something like ham hocks. If you don't know the ingredients I wouldn't try. Easier way would be to make a smoke beer and back flavor with bacon.

Back