MDP Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chill3488

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP041 pacific ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12-14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Tasting Notes
initial hop and malt is good with a clean finish
Steep in 3 gals of water at 155 degrees for 20 mins:
-2 lbs American 2 row
-1 lbs Crystal 40 - great western
-.25 lbs Caramel Malt 120 L
-.1 lbs Pale Chocolate Crisp

Strain and sparge with 2 gals of water at 170 degrees
Sparge with one more gal of room temp water

Bring to boil then turn off heat and add 5 lbs of liquid Amber Extract

Bring back to boil for 60 mins
Add .6 oz of Centennial hops(60 mins)
15 mins left add wort chiller
1 min left add 1oz Mt. hood hops(1 min)

Cool to 80 degrees transfer to Carboy
Aerate and pitch yeast

Ferment 12-14 days then rack to secondary for 14 days.

Keg it and drink in 2 days

Well, you didn't ask for anything, but I did notice a few things I would change.

1) Don't sparge with room temp water (I may be missing something here, don't think so)
2) 3-5 days in primary, then the rest of the month in secondary (I always go one month fermenters).
3) About 30 days at 12 psi gets me to correct conditioning, earlier gets the carb, but not the melding of the flavors.

Have fun with the new hobby, and:mug:

Thanks but this was not my first time brewing I posted this recipe because it worked and others could get ideas. This beer taste amazing. I would not change a thing on this recipe. Good news is you can do whatever you want to it that's the best part of brewing. Good luck on your mods.

Did you make this recipe, or did you find it on the net? Please post. I would like to study the idea and reasoning of sparging with 70 degree or so water. I might just not know of some kind of aroma, or flavor that is being added to the beer....very curious.

My recipe from scratch. Used brew calc to tweak for my output I wanted(color, abv). The reason for the extra 1 gal is at altitude I need an extra gal of water to end with 5 gals. I like to get as much as I can so instead of adding it at the end to top off the Carboy I just sparge with it. No science to it couldn't tell you if it does anything or not but good news is I made a great beer.

I needed a little more volume to reduce the OG of the Cali Steam that's now in the primary. I sparged to hop bags with 70 degree water to stretch the love.
I'll let you know how it turns out. Just made sense? I on the other hand Am a total noob!
I saw your recipe and saved it, looks like a nice drinkable ale. What color is it and what kind of head does it make. I would be tempted to dry hop.
Nice!

Back