Oxygen in the primary fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
My bro came over to check out the new room with the fermenting beer and wine and he leaned on the lid of the bucket, when he got up it sucked a bunch of air in, and probably water from the airlock. Should this be ok or is it time to bottle the beer and drink it, which I wouldn't mind. It has been in the bucket for eight days and done bubbling for four.
Thanks

Relax, CO2 is considerably heavier than air. Assuming a moderate head space the small amount of air that may have been pulled in should be riding on a cloud of CO2 and not on your beer. If fermentation continues to off gas CO2 the oxygenated air will be pushed out 1st. Otherwise, keep everything still during racking to the bottling bucket and the air will never see your beer (I displace air in my bottling bucket with dry ice before racking).

I make certain to use starsan in my airlocks just in case it were to be sucked in I can be certain it's not filthy water. I'd not be able to use vodka for this purpose because I tend to drink that. Starsan, not so much.

rudu81 said:
Cheap vodka works well. 1.75 L bottles go a long way

+1 I use cheap bourbon, that way if some goes in, its bourbon aged. Kidding naturally...kinda

Back